grey sludge on washing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my Bosch classixx 1000 washing machine 4yrs old has started to throw out bits of grey sludge onto the washing. Its been smelling on and off for a couple of years. Tried several branded 'cleaners' washed through on 90dgs etc. Searched this forum and used the soda crystals twice. In behind the front rubber seal and the metal drum is a white rim? behind that is where the gunge seems to have collected I can run knife around there and scrap some out...but cant get in there properly...and I have no idea what I am doing probably not the best idea. The pipes were checked a few months ago and filters are ok. I have not used powder for years as it was told it contained 'packing' ground paper? Use l washing liquid (sainsburys)
Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
who told you about powder was refering to a very cheap own brand, it is renouned for gunging m/c

stick to powder its far better than liquid by a long shot.

believe it or not they cant make a bleach to go in liquid detergent, so by using liquids your mc will smell (as you have found out)

only thing i can suggest is use a blunt impliment and carrry on scrapping and use powder

Thankyou Breezer. Damn I gave away a supply of Powder!!! :LOL: I will have to buy more and try again. I will have a couple more goes with the crystals I think. Probably a stupid question but Bio powder or non??????? We are in hard water area but have a softener already installed in house when we arrived. (somewhere on here I read drinking softened water was ok ? I thought it was not because of the salt added. We have a seperate drinking tap) Sorry gone off topic

water softeners do not do w/m any good either

bio or non bio makes not mcuch diff, but ont use bio over 60degrees it kills the bio (hinest) they are enzymzes above 62 degrees they die

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks again Breezer. I am blasting through soap powder tabs right now. Hope all will be well as I have an all white wash next. Cheers!

Many very hot washes later with powder and soda crystals and some bleach (Not all at same time) its much better. Some residue very old powder coming through now....but much improved. Thanks for all information

Hi,

I know this is a very old thread, but I have been having the same problem on and off for a couple of years, altho my Whirlpool 3551 is not very old. Does the above still apply, anyone know? I am just now running the machine with white towels on 95 deg. wash with no detergent to see if it froths. I usually use non bio Sainsburys liquid in a dosing ball in the machine rather than in the drawer. I often use white vinegar instead of softener, although I do put Pure Comfort in with towels these days.

Should I change to normal powder bio or non bio?

Thanks.

Better to start your own thread, but do you clean the rubber gasket every wash , that's where some of the gunge starts to accumulate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back