Leaking automatic air release valve & black residue!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Service Contract with British Gas. Recently (Over three visits!? :eek: ) BG first cleaned and then replaced the automatic air release valve on my Vokera Maxim Combi boiler (as they said the valve was the source of a small, intermittent leak from the boiler) Sadly the leak, although less frequent than it was, is still there! :cry: The three different BG engineers seemed to be suggesting that the valve was becoming partially blocked by residue in the system. Time to clean the system perhaps? Two of the BG engineers said that I should have a "PowerFlush" completed on the system at a cost to me of £450 appprox. (Is this a "sledge hammer to crack a nut?") The third BG engineer said I should add chemicals to the system costing £100 approx.

Any advice/comments about what to do next?

I have a seven radiator system. No other problems are evident with either the hot water or the central heating. I do have to bleed the radiator at the end of the central heating circuit fairly often, but I take this to be due to the STILL LEAKING air valve.

Sponsored Links
if you had it powerflushed then normal practice would have been to add chemicals (inhibitor) on refilling the system.

if they only cleaned the prv then maybe a new replacement prv is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back