VOKERA 80SP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a vokera 80SP that runs totally fine, we have just had a service and they have stated because it has on a constant pilot light the fan goes all the time slow, fine now apparently the capacitor that controls this has burnt out they were just going to replace it, now apparently they say its the PCB causing the burn out and it will need replacing. i dont really want to pay out the best part of 300 pounds when there is nothing wrong what so ever with the boiler. Has anyone else heard of this problem

Sponsored Links
I'd be suspicious - it isn't a capacitor even.
If the pcb has "burned out" they should be able to show you where, I think. Raden's the man on this one..

http://www.partscenter.co.uk/hrpc/index.html
Selected Product:478027
Description VOKR 6493 RESISTOR
Price(Excluding VAT and quantity discounts) £13.70

Even that's a rip off, for something which would be under a quid from an electronics bits supplier.

thanks for that i thought that myself as there is nothing wrong with the bolier, i get hot water, heating, the lot. i think i will print this out and stick it under his nose tommorow. :evil: and sorry he did say resistor its my brain, its abit lose today :)

I work on this boiler very often (not because it is a bad boiler, but because Glasgow is Vokera country).

Take what you have been told with a pinch of salt.

I bet the service took all of 15 minutes.

Suggest you get someone who knows this boiler and let him service the boiler as prescribed by Vokera.

Maybe I should offer my service when I visit Manchester next.

Sponsored Links
forrest1066 said:
I have a vokera 80SP that runs totally fine, we have just had a service and they have stated because it has on a constant pilot light the fan goes all the time slow, fine now apparently the capacitor that controls this has burnt out they were just going to replace it, now apparently they say its the PCB causing the burn out and it will need replacing. i dont really want to pay out the best part of 300 pounds when there is nothing wrong what so ever with the boiler. Has anyone else heard of this problem

It's a shaded pole motor on the fan, there's no motor start capacitor

The fan is run from a relay on the pcb and fed from the live - the pcb is not responsible for the fan going down

I can't say definitively, but I assume that, being a perm pilot boiler, the fan should be running constantly at slow speed when there is no demand for heat to vent the PoC from the pilot flame

bottom line - someone's trying it on with you (or they're not competent to be let anywhere near a gas appliance

Have I got the wrong end of the stick here? I thought the fan was connected through the resistor when just the pilot was on, and the resistor was bypassed for full fan speed.
The fan has not gone down, hence forrest1066 has his boiler functions. Though it 's likely to overheat from the pilot if the fan's not running.
So unlesss there's some way the resistor has shorted to earth via a track on the board or something, the board can't have been responsible for the failure of the resistor - and the board isn't damaged when the resistor fails.

If that (ever) happened, DP or Raden would have seen it I think.

yes thats what i have been told because of the pilot light being on constantly the fan runs at slow speed and they said at first that the resistor has gone and needed replacing now its the board - which to me is rubbish

just checked MI ..

SLOW FAN SPEED RESISTOR part numb; 4028- vokera excel 80 SP

im assuming that they measured the resistor itself and deemed satisfactory which is why they are blaming the board?

Same resistor, according to HRPC.
Just checked my MI, 47 094 17, and though they say it's 560 Ohms there's no part number or picture of it !

But its not even the PCB which speeds up the fan if it follows the usual Vokera design strategy of using the system flow switch.

I dont remember as its rarely a problem on this model and the scrap men took my two training models before I could put them into the workshop!

Its easy to check the resistance of the resistor but its more often the lead which comes unsoldered because of the high operating temperature.

Alternatively you should be able to see if the fan is turning slowly when the boiler is not giving heat. If not you risk spoling the seals and having leaks insidet he combustion chamber!

Tony Glazier

is it even the pilot that runs the fan at slow speed? thought it was the perm live that kept it going regardless of pilot?

thank you everyone got it sorted i insisted he tried and replaced the resistor after what you all said on this forum and hey presto it works - THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE :LOL:

The fan is connected straight to the pcb, as is the resistor, on separate connections, so it could have been the pcb connections/relay.
Glad it wasn't though - resistor's a few quid cheaper!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back