Installing a new radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My central Heating is Driven by Worcester Bosch Combi boiler, via two 22 mm manifolds underneath the upstairs landing floorboards.

The manifolds are connected to each other, one feeds the Upstairs Rads and the other feeds the Downstairs Rads.

The manifolds then 'step down' to 8mm micro bore and feed / return from opposite ends of the rads.

I have recently had plumbers install a new rad in a conservatory. Upon their arrival at the house, I'd anticipated that they would use the downstairs rad closest to the conservatory. ie modify one existing to feed the new rad in 'series' using the existing 8 mm micro bore.

Instead they made a lot of complaints about microbore would not feed a new rad 10 ft away from the existing ground floor rad and stated that they would have to find the 22 mm manifold to tap into.

Upon returning home from work, I have found that they have actually tapped into the 8 mm microbore tails from the upstairs rad directly above the conservatory, using 'T'-Pieces and 'step up' connectors to the new 15 mm plastic piping.

This seems totally wrong to me and I have great concerns regarding pressure drops and the fact that they were supposed to be connecting to the Manifold.

Could you please confirm the correct way of adding a new rad.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
All depends on rad sizes and pipe lengths.
If they're small rads, what they've done will probably work. Correct method would be to go back to the manifold if it's not too far. It would almost certainly be wrong to connect rads as you suggest, in series with 8mm.
Bet it looks lovely in plastic...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back