Underfloor heating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I freeze in my small bathroom though it has a conventional CH radiator. There is very little wall space for an electric heater (except above the bath/shower), so I was considering fitting underfloor heating.

Have any of you had personal experience of how much difference it makes to the warmth of a tiled bathroom?

Also how difficult is it to install :?:

Jeanne.

Sponsored Links
A TALL towel rail makes you feel warm, or
you can probably put a double convector radiator in if the current one's only a single or
you could use electric UFH, which feels cosy on the toes but doesn't heat the room or
you could use a 2kW wall mounted fan heater (Dimplex eg)

You dont seem to have learnt that the heat output from a radiator or other heating device warms up the room.

Underfloor heating gives only 70 watts maximum per square metre.

A properly sized rad will always give more unless you have a 7 m square bathroom!

As professional heating engineers we dont have personal experience of inadequate systems and installing UFH for one room only would be about £1000 including retiling. Replacing with a 1.8 kW vertical rad about £400.

Tony

'You dont seem to have learnt that the heat output from a radiator or other heating device warms up the room.

Underfloor heating gives only 70 watts maximum per square metre.'

Ah -- but I've quickly learnt it now Tony! Thanks for the info -- it's a 2 square metre room, so 140 watts isn't going to help much (apart from warming my tootsies). Sadly there's not the space for an upright rad. so it looks as though I'll have to shiver.

Jeanne.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
A TALL towel rail makes you feel warm, or
you can probably put a double convector radiator in if the current one's only a single or
you could use electric UFH, which feels cosy on the toes but doesn't heat the room or
you could use a 2kW wall mounted fan heater (Dimplex eg)

The lavatory bowl blocks using a double rad. The fan heater is obviously my best option -- it's just that it'll have to be badly placed because of the size and layout of the bathroom. Thanks for that.

Jeanne.

Paul Barker said:
You can get an overhead fan heater which runs off central heating from Smiths.

Sterling 7 4,600 to 6,148 on boost should heat your bathroom.

It uses central heating water and blows it with electric fan, also doubles up as cool fan in summer if required.

http://www.smiths-env.com/heating/downloads/datasheets/Sterling_Datasheet.pdf[/QUOTE]

I've just checked that one -- looks like a great answer Paul, except for the cost! Over £200 plus installation (not something I could do) compares badly with buying a Dimplex fan-assisted 2KW heater I could fix myself. Thanks anyway.

Jeanne.

There are strick regs on If or where in a bathroom u can fit those type of heater.s Recomend u get the spec before buying a product.

Yes you need to ask Smith's the IP rating to know where it can go. Check with Smith's that they are at least IPX4. Note that in the page I linked they show a SELV (seperated extra low voltage) unit. SELV equipment can be used in zone 1 and even in zone 0 as long as it is IPX7 rated and it cannot be located elsewhere.

For an electric only heater you are looking for IPX4 rating place it in zone 2 or 3 unless it cannot be reasonably located anywhere but zone 1 and then it has to have 30mA rcd protection. Switching for an all electric heater would hav to be via pull cord.

What do the zones mean?

http://www.sensor.co.uk/Zones.htm

For an electric only heater you are looking for IPX4 rating place it in zone 2 or 3 unless it cannot be reasonably located anywhere but zone 1 and then it has to have 30mA rcd protection. Switching for an all electric heater would hav to be via pull cord.

What do the zones mean?

http://www.sensor.co.uk/Zones.htm[/quote]

What a useful link!! Thanks for that Paul.

Jeanne.

A thought - there are various heaters you can get which go on the ceiling. They've moved on a bit since the radiant circle round the light bulb of the 70's. Might be worth a look. Even those old things made you feel warm while you were stood under them.
They would be limited to 750 Watts or so though if they use the lighting electrical circuit.

Not relevant in your case but space under shower or bath is outside the zones if it requires a tool to access the area. Useful place to put a pump.

The cheapest solution of all would be using one of the heat and light bulbs which give about 500 w of radiant heat as well as light.

They cost say £4.50 and just plug into a bayonet light socket in the ceiling.

How many social workers does it take to change a light bulb?

That depends on whether the light bulb wants to be changed!

Tony

ChrisR said:
A thought - there are various heaters you can get which go on the ceiling. They've moved on a bit since the radiant circle round the light bulb of the 70's. Might be worth a look. Even those old things made you feel warm while you were stood under them.
They would be limited to 750 Watts or so though if they use the lighting electrical circuit.

I found those yesterday while surfing -- but I think I could do with more than 750 Watts. Thanks anyway.

Jeanne.

Agile said:
The cheapest solution of all would be using one of the heat and light bulbs which give about 500 w of radiant heat as well as light.

They cost say £4.50 and just plug into a bayonet light socket in the ceiling.

Tony

I wish 500w would be adequate -- alas not! Thanks for the thought.

Jeanne.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back