sine 18 diaphragm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone got any tips on the best access to this one to change the diaphragm?

Sponsored Links
I prsume you mean the DHW diapragm?? If so as long as you can get the grub screw out, the housing just drops down after undoing the two connections, nice easy job. If you can get the grub screw out you shafted!!

HarrogateGas said:
.. the housing just drops down after undoing the two connections, nice easy job.
Two connections? Don't you mean 4? Or even 5 if you include the tube to the mini expansion vessel?

If the grub screw if jambed/damaged, you can drill it out and then cut a bigger thread in the hole and fit a bigger grub screw.

Sponsored Links
Yes but is it really worth doing and passing the bill on to the customer on what is an old, antiqauted in-efficient boiler??

I trust you have you enery efficiency cert in order to self certify?? If so youll know that it is important to promote new higher efficiency boilers and i think this is a classic advantage. Is it worth the £100-200 spent to fix?

Thats dangerous saying that when there are all those retired Bg people here who grew up on the Sine 18 !

Its a simple job and Chris Hutt knows how many pipes too, I suspect he has actually done one!

Its quite a simple job if there is space undeneath. About 50 min and we would do it for less than £100 in London.

Tony

I've never done one, though I have all the parts of an old one in the shed. Which is the Grub screw - click on L? above.

I clicked on "L2" but all that gave me was an exploded diagram !

What was I meant to do next?

Tony

ChrisR said:
Which is the Grub screw - click on L? above.
Are you asking ChrisR? Yes, it's L in the diagram. It locates the water section in a sub-frame. All very similar to the later Combicompact (VCW series) except that it only operates an electrical switch in the control box, not a servo valve.

Well I'm doing it for the cost of the diaphragm which is 3.43, but I have only ever come across a few of these aged monstrosities and it has usually been microswitch faults. I haven't really looked at the boiler as it was last service of the day, but it looked as though the diaphragm housing was accessed from underneath the electrical housing.....is this removable then direct access to the diaphragm?......or not?

I thought you worked for BG who charged £180 pa for service cover and not £3.43 !

The water unti IS below the electric box but you loosen the screw "L" which Chris R has so helpfully indicated for you.

You then undo the FOUR pipes as Chris Hutt has correctly counted for you after turning off the black square water inlet knob so that you dont get wet.

Most problems with the Sine 18 nowadays are either pilot light or wax capsule in the diverter valve.

Totally maintainable boilers even though they are getting to 20 years old.

Really its about time they were replaced but because I know how to repair them I am never going to get the chance of replacing one!

Tony Glazier

Agile said:
Totally maintainable boilers even though they are getting to 20 years old.
More like 30 years old! I installed my first one in about 1977. An amazing piece of engineering, built to last (no, I'm not going to say for a thousand years). They were built from 1976 until 1987.

ollski...before you start check that the enamellled white hood (top bit of combustion chamber) hasn't got a crack in it.

I once spent 2 hours repairing one and then found the crack and had to cut it off.

I have since found 3 others in the last couple of years.

What's the chances of a so called 'modern condensing' boiler lasting 20 or 30 years?
The sine 18 looks awful but it is one of the best built/designed ever made I think.
Remember, it was on the continent for years before our water bylaws allowed them to be installed over here.
The wax capsule mentioned earlier together with the servo valve were the main weak links as far as I know.
Other than that...a superb piece of engineering.
Anyone know what the efficiency of one of these is?
garethgas

Yeah - my 242E lasted 19 years

I retired it because someone gave me a 28i Junior

let's see how long that lasts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back