toilet to move in a flat but problems with the waste help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister has just got a studio flat and hasn't got much money so she wants me to move her toilet for her and a couple of other things to give her more room in her really tiny kitchen. She wants me to move a stud wall which I am quite capable of. The only bit i am worried about is the soil pipe. It comes out of the stack a few inches above the floor and goes straight into the adjacent toilet at present.

If I move it, it will involve a run of about 2 meters and 3 bends so I am worried about the fall. Does anyone know what you have to allow per meter or what the least you can get away with is?

Just to add problems, SOME of this pipe would end up under the kitchen units which may mean I have to raise the units slightly. A little raise would be ok but it may be too much, thats why I want to keep to minimum rise.

I have asked if anything could be done to where the pipe connects to the stack to get it to start lower but was told this would be very expensive and awkward, so it looks like I am stuck with starting a couple of inches off the floor.

Anybody any ideas or advice. any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
1 : 40

raise wc on a plinth or whole room it's in.

You're jiggered if there are any appliances along the wall of the kitchen.

Is your sister a tall person? Not many women would like their workbench any higher, many would like it lower.

The plan may not be practically possible.

Have done something very like what you're trying, where the wc was in a daft place. Used kitchen units from Howdens(mfi) others are similar, which had a 4" gap at the back. So brought them just another inch or so forwards, with the soil pipe tight to (or slightly let into ) the wall. You can get clever twist-bendy connectors for soil pipe to get it just where you want.
I put the wc pan on a plinth made of 3/4" ply sheets screwed together with packing to get the angle right (old dippy floor) and filled the gap with 2-part filler. Gloss painted white it still looks ok 6 years on. I remember I copied the angle of the side of the china to a jigsaw, to cut the plinth so it carried on down at the same angle, and put white silicone in the join. It's a 1 bed flat getting £1800pcm, so must be reasonably acceptable!

How about cutting down the height of the unit carcasses to clear the pipe? Leave the door overhanging the bottom of the unit so it looks right from the front. You would need a higher plinth though.

Or re-cutting the groove that holds the backs of the kitchen units, moving it a bit further forward to clear the pipe? Probably have to reduce the depth of the shelves though.

Or move the run forward a bit, with a wider worktop?

Or take an appropriate size notch out of the sides and backs and bottoms of the units, and make up 'boxing in' to cover the pipes inside the units out of the bits left over?
I did similar a while ago to get round the remains of an old fireplace and back boiler that seemed to have been concreted into a kitchen floor so that nothing short of a small thermonuclear device would shift it.

Sponsored Links
TicklyT said:
I did similar a while ago to get round the remains of an old fireplace and back boiler that seemed to have been concreted into a kitchen floor so that nothing short of a small thermonuclear device would shift it.

Now you know what our job is like, workaday stuff removing back boilers and Ideal e types.

Run a 3inch soil and give her advice on diet :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back