Peugeot 1.9D Non Turbo Timing Belt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When changing the timing belt is it necessary to use special tool pins to lock the flywheel, diesel pump and the cam sprocket? Or, will 8mm bolts suffice? (Haynes is a little contradictary on this, and I want to be sure before starting) Local pug dealer uses pug tools.

Sponsored Links
Think you are ok with bolts on the cam and pump.The official tool for the flywheel is a pin with a handle about a foot long to clear the starter.You may have to remove the starter for access without it.The last one I did was a citroen, I assume they are the same?

Thanks for reply yes2mud, not sure if they're the same but they probably are. You've clarified things for me now, I see what Haynes are getting at. It seems to be the 2.1 motor where access is limited and the long tool required. I think the 1.9 is ok with an 8mm drill or bolt for flywheel, though I might remove starter anyway. Thanks again.

Don't use a drill Keyplayer,it would probably shear off.Had a look at a Peugeot 1.9 at work,it appears to be the same as Citroen.The flywheel lock pin hole is in the cast lug just above the starter.If you can get a length of 8mm bar and put one 90 deg bend on it,you will be able to insert it with the starter on.Good luck.

Sponsored Links
I've only ever done the TD's before.
Pretty simple job and never needed any special tools.
If i remember right, the tensioner is a bit of a pig to do........ think you need an allen key and a 1/4" drive ratchet to tension it.
Drill bits are fine for locating........ it's not as if you're going to be turning the engine over with them in so no chance of shearing.
From memory the crankshaft is a mark on the pulley rather than a peg in the hole jobby.
Get it all timed up before you take the old belt off and make your own marks to be sure it goes back the same

Thanks gentlemen, much appreciated. Will tackle it this weekend, weather permitting.

I think neo has got it wrong, the tensioner he is talking about is used on the 2.1TD. You need to use the tool in to the flywheel behind the starter, other than that it's just bolts to lock the injection pump and the camshaft. The belt tensioner depends on the engine code. I hope this helps.
regards johnwr
ps this info was taken from the Autodata timing belt book.

Nope, definately a 1.9td with that setup. May have been for the serpentine drive belt rather than the cambelt tensioiner........... been a while since i done it!

Neo,your right that drill bits are ok for locating,but the crank pulley has to be released,a drill won't stand the pressure from slacking/refitting the crank bolt.There are three different non-turbo XUD engines,from 1.7,then the 1.9's with and without catalysts.The tensioners vary a bit but most need a ratchet to detension while removing/fitting the belt.

Sponsored Links
Back