Machine leaking as filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've come to start my washing machine, Creda advance 1200, and as it starts to fill up the water just leaks from under the machine straight away. I have had a good look around at the pipes etc which all seem ok. Can anyone point me in the right direction of the fault? Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The most likely place for a leak of this kind is the outlet from the drum to the pump - the hose here has a hard life, it is usually some kind of bellows type so that it can move with the motion of the drum, and ends up splitting.

If it's this then the fix is very easy:

1. Unplug (or somehow electrically isolate) and pull out the appliance.
2. Lower the entire drain hose to ground level and drain all the water you can into a bowl.
3. Turn the machine onto one side, preferably with the drain outlet towards the upper side, for convenience.
4. Undo clips that retain the outlet hose, and examine for splits.
5. Order new hose from the manufacturer or spares supplier.
6. Fit new hose with new Jubillee clips of the correct diameter, and don't use any sealant on either end.
7. Put the machine back upright, push back, plus in, switch on, run tests.

The same leak can come from a worn pump, but is less likely, because most washing pumps break down before they leak :)roll:).

Repair would be exactly the same process, except that you replace the pump instead of the hose.

Sponsored Links
when changing a whole tub, i once forgot to reconect the soap drawer to to tub pipe but i soon found out, it may have simply come off, we used a couple of zip clips to hold them on

Well I finally got the time to look at the washing machine in question from the original post and i have found that it has a hole in the bottom of the plastic outer drum! Anyone have any ideas regarding fixing this? Will it need a new drum or is there a type of resin i can use to fix it in the mean time? Any help appreciated. Jon

Hm, well, um, how about that stuff you can get to repair car bodywork -
glass fibery stuff?

Alhough it might be too rigid and lead to more stress on the surrounding area of the drum. :eek:

That's true breezer, what did make the hole?? I recently moved the machine (by myself) could this be the culprit? Don't know if it would be easier to buy a new one!!

I would guess its something that should not be in there, i did once find a table knife in between the drums. i had to change drum.

repair may last it may not, i never really reomend changing tub only, it has to be spider, front plate seal, heater. (may as well do the lot save any probs) = kerching ££££££

your choice

For dishwasher I've used petropatch. Not sure if this would work on a washing machine tub though.
Fibreglass patch as breezer suggests may well be the temporary repair you're looking for.
Long term it has to be a new tub etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back