Bathroom extractor fan !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!

I have one fan with 2 black wires (presume it\\\'s AC)and wanna wire it so it comes on with the light.

Can I connect yellow into one,
and blue into another,

I presume I should somehow connect the live red to something but there ain\\\'t nowhere to connect it in the fan!
(Bathroom light switch is outside the room so no pull chord.)

Any advice is appreciated!!!

Sponsored Links
We'll need a better mental picture than you've given so far.

Where are the yellow and blue cables you refer to coming from, for starters.? Is this a replacement fan?
Do you have only the light switch and the light at the moment?
Where, relative to the bath/shower do you intend putting this fan?

dpmc said:
I have one fan with 2 black wires (presume it\\\'s AC)and wanna wire it so it comes on with the light.
You talk as if this is a new fan, as it's not connected up? If so, don't you know what it is?

If not, and you are right in your assumption, and it's rated at 230V AC, you'll be OK. But stand back when you switch it on, just in case you are wrong and it explodes.

I take it as well that you have checked that it is suitable for the location?

Can I connect yellow into one,
and blue into another,

I presume I should somehow connect the live red to something but there ain\\\'t nowhere to connect it in the fan!
It sounds as though you have the wiring for a timed overrun fan, but not that sort of fan, so the permanent live (probably red, but no guarantee, however this is trivial to check with your multimeter) needs to be made safe in a piece of choc-block.

Thanks for replying,

yes, I'm replacing a fan that was old and broken, so the location is all ok. (There is only one light switch situated outside the room - I hope the yellow switched live is connected somehow to it)

The three wires (red yellow blue) coming out the wall were attached to the old fan. I removed them, replaced the old fan with the new, but the new only had the 2 black wires. I think I left the yellow free- what happened then, was that the fan was permanently on.

The fan is a EMMA (!?) emf4 standard model, 220-240v 50 hz, 20 watt. It was cheap...

So, if I sort out a piece of choc-block for the red wire coming out the wall.... do you think it'll work?

thanks for your advice!!

Sponsored Links
dpmc said:
yes, I'm replacing a fan that was old and broken, so the location is all ok.

Doesn't neccessarily follow, I'm afraid.

If your fan is in a certain position, it should either be IPX4 rated and protected by an RCD, or an SELV model.

not sure what any of that means!

It only says eMF4 on the box. No idea what that implies either.

Not in a rush,so I wont act til I know what's going on.

Where is the fan in relation to the bath/shower cubicle?

Need measurements, please.

Has the fan got an "IP" rating on it?

Is it protected by an RCD?

Sounds like the old fan was a timer type and the new fan is not a timer type (ie, the fan runs on after the light has been switched off).

Assumings its a none timer type (only two terminals, maybe marked L & N??)
Put the blue wire into the N terminal, put the yellow wire into the L terminal. Insulate the red wire using a small choc block. The fan should now come on when you switch the light on.

dpmc said:
not sure what any of that means!

It only says eMF4 on the box. No idea what that implies either.

Not in a rush,so I wont act til I know what's going on.

Agree with BAS on this one. Sounds as though you should contact a qualified electrician. It could also come under "P Regs" if it is in your bathroom!!!

thanks,

It's above the sink which is next to the shower.

According to the diagrams, it's in zone 2 which is IPX4!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back