compression fittings on gas pipe

You might be right, but only a search through the Office of National Statistics records would indicate the necessity. Just maybe there has been a case. Then there is also common sense. Put it this way, I wouldn't pass a gas pipe through my own wall without sleeving it. Where's the difficulty? Drill a larger hole, put a larger pipe in it, put your pipe in that.

Sponsored Links
Paul Barker said:
You might be right, but only a search through the Office of National Statistics records would indicate the necessity. Just maybe there has been a case. Then there is also common sense. Put it this way, I wouldn't pass a gas pipe through my own wall without sleeving it. Where's the difficulty? Drill a larger hole, put a larger pipe in it, put your pipe in that.

I agree with you....if I install a new gas line I will adhere to the regulations, I went to a theatre in Liverpool for a gas check, I could have droned on all day about Regs.....it was safe.. who gives a s**hit...

Agile said:
PRV vent pipe does not HAVE to be sleeved. I see little advantage in sleeving them.

Yellow Ochre is a colour !!!!
#

yes it is your right well done, I meant gas MDPE, anyway what about the subsidence question I posed to you

again well done yellow orche is a colour.

Also sleveing does prevent the gas pipe being damaged by brick/blockwork when it is expanding and contracting.

Heres what the Gas safety (installation and use) regs 1999 say about sleving

no mention of subsidence, or my suppositon re damage, just purely to prevent gas buildup in a cavity

n1 Paul

Regulation 19(2) and (3) - enclosed pipes
41 The detailed provisions in existing reg 19(2)(b), eg for enclosure in a gas-tight sleeve, have been replaced by 'goal setting' requirements concerning the prevention of gas escapes entering a cavity in a wall or similar confined space.

42 Additionally, the prohibition in reg 19(3) (against installation of pipework in a wall cavity, unless the pipe is to pass from one side of the wall to another) has been disapplied in respect of 'living flame effect' fires (as defined), and this is spelt out in reg 19(4).

Sponsored Links
i have been reading this and it's important to note that;

when an extension is connected to an existing property, it creates a scenario whereby the old outside wall becomes an internal wall.

if the existing property is fairly recent and has cavity walls then any gas pipes passing through them, although now rendered internal by the new extension, should be afforded the same sleeving regulations as any other cavity wall.

internal, external or otherwise.

The regulations do not differentiate between a solid or a cavity wall or between an internal or external wall.

The original reason for sleeving was to prevent differential movement between the outer and inner leaf from fracturing a gas pipe and allowing the gas to enter the cavity.

The air gap between the gas pipe and the sleeve allows some movement in the walls with any risk of damage to the gas pipe and in the most unlikely event of a leak in the gas pipe ensures the gas goes to the outside to be safely dispersed.

An amusing anomality is that according to the regs if the gas pipe passes through an internal stub wall then it still has to be blocked at one end even though both sides communicate with each other.

Tony

Agile said:
The regulations do not differentiate between a solid or a cavity wall or between an internal or external wall.

The original reason for sleeving was to prevent differential movement between the outer and inner leaf from fracturing a gas pipe and allowing the gas to enter the cavity.

The air gap between the gas pipe and the sleeve allows some movement in the walls with any risk of damage to the gas pipe and in the most unlikely event of a leak in the gas pipe ensures the gas goes to the outside to be safely dispersed.

An amusing anomality is that according to the regs if the gas pipe passes through an internal stub wall then it still has to be blocked at one end even though both sides communicate with each other.

Tony

and the subsidence you mentioned earier mate??? what and how does sleving stop that damaging the gas pipe??

I already mentioned the protection that sleveing gives against thermo movement but am really interest what material you can use to protect the gas pipe should the wall start to sink, ie subsidence?

The protection against differential subsidence is given by the oversize hole in the wall.

If the sole purpose of sleeving was to stop gas getting into a cavity it would only be needed on a cavity wall.

Tony

Agile said:
The protection against differential subsidence is given by the oversize hole in the wall.

If the sole purpose of sleeving was to stop gas getting into a cavity it would only be needed on a cavity wall.

Tony

i agree with you its to stop damage to gas pipe by thermal movement of the carrier but and over sized hole is not going to protect it from the wall moving and/or subsiding

For all who have asked,

I know a guy who works for Baxi ( Padiham plant Nr Burnley lancs) He got the boiler for me.

When i went to the plant to collect it, he took me to a separate building where about 4 guys worked doing these boilers. There were hundreds stacked to the roof awaiting repair or whatever they do with them.

All seemed to have dents in the outer casings or a scratch A few were in the skip outside, obviously they were beyond repair.

I will dig out the invoice i was given and see if there is a contact number on it. Failing that, im sure if you call the baxi plant in padiham, they will give you details.

Update:

There is no number on the invoice BUT there an attached e mail regarding the sale. Maybe if you mail this woman she could give you more details.

Never noticed before but on the invoice there is a disclaimer that reads as follows :

This appliance has been tested or re-packaged in accordance with Baxi-Potterton procedures. This appliance may not be perfect in apperance or packaging and is sold as seen. Only functional parts of the boiler are covered under the manufacturers 12 month warranty. Cosmetic apperance is not covered.

Sounds fair enough to me seeing it cost £500.00 less than the plumbers merchants

Her e mail is "[email protected]"

Good luck guys.

P.S Any plumbers on here from blackburn fancy connecting the gas for me ? still cant find a plumber that will :cry:

If I were local I'd be in those skips!
You will have a problem with getting anyone to say they installed the boiler, which is what you need so the installation can be "notified" to Building Control in accordance with regs.. The Corgi bod is supposed to hang the boiler and fit the flue and gas, at least. If it's on the wall, he can't say that.
You might get someone qualified to connect the gas and check/commission the boiler, but you'd still have to call in the BCO for them to inspect it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back