Swapping stories at the merchants.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got one upped at the merchants today. My feeble story was of a roomsealed wall heater where kids had been standing on the flue to climb over the gate, original inner flue had got lost and was replaced by a piece of aluminium rolled into a sort of cylinder.

Anyhow the other guy had a better one. He was told wall heater wouldn't stay lit. So he lit it, and it weant out straight away. So he weant outside to inspect the flue terminal, there wasn't one. It was straight into the cavity.

You could get that one published in gas installer, take a picture of any wall, and a picture of any wall heater.

It all came up because I saw an overflow pipe running at 45 degrees from the centre of a gable wall down to the front of the house round through the yard wall into the gulley. What an uggly contraption. No lagging of course. I would have found the bathroom waste somehow.

Sponsored Links
Went to swap an elecrtic shower this week. When i got there the customer said . gona get busy in here cos i'v got BG to look at me boiler soon. Asked what was up with it, Ohh it works ok but gets noisy & makes wooshing sounds . more when its on hot water,(old bf ideal on gravity h/w) when he turned up the first thing he said was " I bet everybody tells yer this is an old boiler, I'd get us to replace it soon before it lets ya down big style." Didnt see what he was doing. As leaving heard him say " fitted yer a new gas valve so that should do the trick but if not let us know." Ermmmm. He did run it for at least 5mins before leaving but not at all before new valve.

I was fiting heating at a job, another local plumbing firm, much bigger firm than me and second generation with a number of vans came to first fix for kitchen fitters. Owner of business actually came to do it.

Anyhow he was there 2 minutes put no thought into the job or anything.

Later that morning kitchen fitters (equally big respected joinery firm) arrived. They couldn't progress because stop cock needed moving, gas pipe needed first fixing for hob and hot and cold had been first fixed in wrong place. They couldn't get hold of him.

I'm such a softy, I did the lot for them after agreeing with client a nominal sum, just so the joiner could get started.

Also noticed my bahco shifter went missing thgat morning. I'm sure it was a mistake.

Anyhow learned some useful gossip, the normal plumbers this joinery firm use is another big local figure second generation family firm. They call him Flood! For good reason.

Sorry about the spanner!

Doing little jobs to help out someone in difficulties can get you more work.

Put another way can cause their usual plumber to lose jobs!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the thought, I really just diud it out of kindness to the joiner. Don't like first fix work for kitchen fitters so wouldn't want it if they tried to get me.

It's just that so many of the customers here ask you to do something outside your cumfort zone, so I end up involved in all sorts.

Tuesday we're digging another new water main. Variety is the spice of life.

Agile said:

Doing little jobs to help out someone in difficulties can get you more work.

But not necessarily more income.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back