Should I relocate my roomstat to the hall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My roomstat is in my south facing lounge.

There are TRV's in 2 bedrooms the hall, kitchen and bathroom.

The third bedroom and of course the lounge do not have TRV's.

As the sun heats the lounge very much would I be better off to relocate the roomstat to the hall (which runs behind all the south rooms) and fit new TRV's everywhere else?`

I have currently got all my rads off for a flush and to decorate and now would be the perfect time to change the valves and roomstat configuration.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
The roomstat should be in the hall but you shouldnt have a trv in there so move it to the hall but leave the hall trv on full or swap head to the decorators cap, Its requirement to have trv's in all bedrooms if the boilers not solid fuel & if ya lounge is south facing i would say there a must in there as well.

Thanks Bab.

I would change the TRV in the hall for a lockshield anyway beacause I'm fitting all new ones, my TRV's are all older than ancient so time for new TRV's and lockshields throughout.

My boiler is gas fired so I take the advice for bed 3 which doesn't have a TRV.

Thought as much that the roomstat was a bad idea in the lounge, had to crank it right up last year to keep the heating on for the rest of the house.

I'm in a bungalow so it will be easy as anything to drop the roomstat wire inside the hall cupboard and pop it through into the hall in a nice sensible place.

Is it best to have roomstat as far away from the rad as possible or doesn't this matter?

This is a rough sketch of my bungalow.

scanimage002cf9.jpg

Could someone advise the best place for a roomstat in the hall please?

Sponsored Links
For ease offitting & neatness i,d fit it on the side of the cupboard thats in the hall so you could droop the wire inside.

bab said:
For ease offitting & neatness i,d fit it on the side of the cupboard thats in the hall so you could droop the wire inside.

Do you mean on the side of the cupboard opposite the garage wall and near the front door?

I have no idea if the roomsat is best to be near or away from the front door or radiators.

I had thought about bringing the wire down in the airing cupboard and putting the roomstat between the airing cupboard and bathroom.

Or drill straight through from the lounge position and place it in juxta position in hall, may be enough surplus wire to pull through unless a sparky fitted it, they seem to like leaving us with nothing to go at. In which case you have to crimp connect extensions, probably blue crimps.

Either put a single socket blank over old location or patch it.

I'm gona have to start reading what i type if drop becomes a droop. there was'nt a front door there either. but i'd still fit in on the cupboard.

bab said:
there was'nt a front door there either

Sorry Bab.

I reposted the pic because I noticed the front door was missing. Shouldn't have left you folks guessing where the door is......

The thermostat should ideally be in the room thats most lived in like the lounge but in special circumstances like a hot lounge then somewhere else is better.

Most halls are totally unsuitable in a typical semi. They are close to the front door and if someone opens it the stat comes on and overheats the house when only the hall has cooled.

In this particular case, as Paul says, just the opposite side of the existing would be good because the hall is internal and that position is on the other side of the hall rad from the front door.

There is no need to actually remove a TRV when a room stat is fitted there as long as its left on full so it does not fight the stat.

Thee may be some merit in keeping the existing lounge stat and wiring a new one in parallel so that a hot lounge does not make the rest of the house cold.

Tony

Agile said:
The thermostat should ideally be in the room thats most lived in like the lounge but in special circumstances like a hot lounge then somewhere else is better.

There may be some merit in keeping the existing lounge stat and wiring a new one in parallel so that a hot lounge does not make the rest of the house cold.

Tony

Our thermostat used to be in the lounge. We would turn the fire on in the winter to make the room cozy, and the rest of the house would be freezing cold lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back