Scrap Copper - How Much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Does anyone know what the going rate for scrap copper is currently? I've just pulled out an old back boiler which is all copper, and weighs 1st 7pounds?

Is this worth anything, and if so can anyone take it to be scrapped or is it only trade?

I believe this is about 9.5Kg.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Any scrapyard will buy it, and the price varies by the day.

dont have to be trade to drop it in

I think copper is about 3k a tonne at the mo, not to be sniffed at

kevin_robson said:
Does anyone know what the going rate for scrap copper is currently?
Around £2000 per tonne.

I've just pulled out an old back boiler which is all copper, and weighs 1st 7pounds?
A boiler made entirely out of copper? :confused:

9.5kg is rather light for a boiler of any sort - even my cat weighs about 4kg.

Are you sure it isn't a copper cylinder that you've removed?

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
kevin_robson said:
Does anyone know what the going rate for scrap copper is currently?
Around £2000 per tonne.

I've just pulled out an old back boiler which is all copper, and weighs 1st 7pounds?
A boiler made entirely out of copper? :confused:

9.5kg is rather light for a boiler of any sort - even my cat weighs about 4kg.

Are you sure it isn't a copper cylinder that you've removed?

Is it important? It's scrap anyway.

We were getting £6 per kilo pure and £3 per kilo mixed last month.

oilman said:
Is it important? It's scrap anyway.
Important enough to make both of us want to post. ;)

ollski said:
We were getting £6 per kilo pure and £3 per kilo mixed last month.
Blimey - mebbee I was robbed - I got only £2 earlier this month.

It's got to the point where it would be worth me phoning around first. :eek:

And the £5 goes to Mr Barker.
Yes it's an old coal boiler I think. Dont know much else about what it is but its def part of the old coal fireplace stuff, that they had left in place when they bricked it up. Was even still connected up to really thick copper pipes.

I'm assuming its 100% copper, is this liklely to be the case?

At least I have an idea what it is worth at the scrapyards, and will be able to shop around until I get the going rate.

Thanks for all the responses.

I`m assuming it`s Cast Iron....or as Lonnie Donnegan once sang "Pig iron . Pig Iron I got ole Pig Iron "........."Rock Island Line .....1958 :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Nige F said:
I`m assuming it`s Cast Iron....or as Lonnie Donnegan once sang "Pig iron . Pig Iron I got ole Pig Iron "........."Rock Island Line .....1958 :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

well nige the rock island line is, indeed, a might fine road!

oops i almost forgot

if you want to ride it , get your ticket at the staion for the rock island line.

well i maybe right and i maybe wrong but i know your gonna miss me when i'm gone

:):):)

It certainly looks like copper, and has a greenish rusty appearance.
Isn't that what copper goes like?

Copper doesn't rust. Iron rusts.

If you still think it's copper then take it to the scrap metal yard and tell them that. Please film the response because I like seeing grown men cry with laughter.

:LOL: Verdigris....posh rust ;) ........get a magnet . :idea: "Cat`s in the cupboard and he can`t see me" :eek: there`s a small possibility .....for instance I once worked @ a large Edwardian house and the 6foot tall copper cylinder was Direct :!: and had 1and half inch F+R screwed/sweated copper from an old boiler ....in the plant room ........I know that the place was later sold and converted to flats .........so someone had a good totting session :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back