Power Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on fitting a power shower shortly but I have a couple of questions first. The hot water cylinder isn't very big it says on it 36''x 16'' so I know I cant fit a 3 bar pump but what is the highest I can go without draining the tank too quickly. Secondly the central heating boiler is nearing the end of it's life so I was planning on fitting a condensing combi boiler, I have been told by several people that you can't have a power shower with a combi boiler is that true(if it is why) because some of the power shower brochures I have say suitable for instantaneous heating I presume that means a combi boiler.

Sponsored Links
Last first,

You'd have to use restrictors supplied and only use showers which specify it is OK, but it is pointless pumping the hot water from a combi, and against water regs unless you fit a break tank.

Firstly how much do you plan to pump 20 litres a minute? 10 litres of that hot water? 117 litre cylinder lasts 12 minutes. What do you plan to do in there that takes that long?

We have the most amaising problems with showers by people who don't seem to use them in an aproved fashion. My m8 was just yesterday wondering what made the bum shaped bow in the stud wall at bum level, causing tiles to come loose and flat owner below to become irate. I have no idea what he's talking about. Then we do plumbing for an hmo full of babes including two lap dancers, they seem to run the shower ragged aswell, I have no idea how.

Forgot to mention I already have a aquatronic power mixer and the pressure from that is just about ok I reckon it's probally much less than 1 bar and doesn't drain the tank.What pressure do combi boilers pump the hot water at,If it's about the same I guess I don't need a pump.

Sponsored Links
combi boilers don't pump water, it arrives at your house under pressure, combi allows it through with some restriction.

How long a piece of string?

The mains in the street may or may not have plenty of pressure and flow, your supply pipe may or may not have plenty of pressure and flow.

Very unlikely to be less than 1 bar. Has been measured in parts of cities in middle of the night at 10 bar enough to blow crossflow heat exchangers which have gone out of fashion acordingly.

I recently had yorkshire water out because of low water pressure after recent water works in my street. After they cleared a blockage they said the flow rate is back up to 20L a minute which they say is better than average. I didn't realize the hot water that passes through a combi boiler was just mains pressure because I thought it would be slowed down too much when it goes through the heat exchanger. So if I go for a combi now before I put in the new bathroom/shower and just fit a thermostic shower control that should be ok.

The flow is restricted no the pressure. You can only get the flow out that the combi is equiped to provide.

That said even a 24kw combi is adequate for a shower imho. It's for running a bath that I advise greater capacity.

Yes I would do just that if I were you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back