Plumbing Improver Position based in London

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I dont know if i'm allowed to ask this but I am based in West London, would anyone be interested taking me on as an Plumbing Improver?? I have completed City & Guilds 6129 and am now working towards my NVQ Level 2, I know some people will take the mick but who gives a .....!!! Any pointers please, thanks :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Well I have worked at Heathrow airport for 8 years and got fed up there. I was doing basic property maintenance and have good practicle skills for general property maintence. I really enjoyed the plumbing side of things so completed the course, I have a keen interest in plumbing and with a bit of help would like to make a go of it as the difference between theory and practicle are vast.

So here I am ready. Any pointers of where I may look or to approach would be nice,

Thanks again!!

get some cards printed advertising yourself and ask if you can leave them in plumbers merchants

Sponsored Links
Probably hardest physical job you will ever do....99% labour intensive...you have to be a carpet fitter/ joiner/diplomat/ put kettle on/ builder/ unafraid of heights/ afraid of heights...& carry lots of dustsheets..forget about an 8 hour day..(for you they won`t exist)..be patient...(wait for gear that isn`t in stock)....stand behind bloke paying for a 15mm end feed elbow with a credit card...I`m off to take my pills... Doctor said I shouldn`t get excited.....No worries there....

LOL LOL LOL Oh my god I am happy now cos it all sounds good to me and looking forward to it.

How else would be the best way to advertise the buisness? do think flyers through doors may do the trick?

I was actually really looking for an improvers position and dont think im ready to go solo for the bigger central heating jobbies...

You have been giving good advice, thanks

Corgi registered guy from Bradford got himself down to Hounslow (he is Asian) stayed with relatives, tried to set up gas business down there. Found he was banging his head against a brick wall. Ended up working at Heathrow because it pays so well. Now being Asian might make a difference, which is the only reason I mension it.

Now he's fitting Dolphin bathrooms in Nottingham. I don't think he's done a gas job since he got corgi registered 2 1/2 years ago.

Its interesting to note that the Asians in Southall and Houndslow and Slough areas have little confidence in the Asian installers in that area.

I have an Asian installer friend there who is very competent and I often try to get him to do jobs in that area but the customers just want me!

I have got an outstanding job to do where the Asian customer has lost confidence in the Asian installer and wants me to go to give a second ( white ) opinion. I am trying to avoid going because they should not have these racial prejudices!

Tony

His point, is that it's bloody hard to get started.

My advice would be to do whatever bits of work you can, to build up your usefulness and experience, even working for peanuts.
Someone who has never hung rads or run pipework outside college is pretty unemployable. Nobody will want you around for the first ones because you'll slow them down. Once you've done a few dozen, and can give the name of the guy you did them for, the situation is totally different.

Ha ha ha yeah whatever, I dont know where this chat is leadinjg but have a fair idea!

I can echo Tony's observations.
My neighbour won't use a worker of his own nationality ("they always want to argue the price UP after the job's done badly").
I practically had to give him a guarantee on the work of my favourite mechanic, who happens to be another ethnic group.

A Sri Lankan friend complained bitterly about a Far-Eastern immigrant he had work for him

Systemfix said:
Yeah and what's your point???

Even if he was quite good at basic plumbing I would not want him to make this kind of comment to any of our clients.

Clients are important and must only be spoken to politely and in proper English! Certainly not "yeah" !

Perhaps he is better off staying at Heathrow!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back