Radiator Valves 15mm or 1/2 inch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a silly question to all those that know the answer...

I'm changing the TRV's and lockshield valves on my rads and moving the roomstat as per a previous post.

Been to the shed for the lockshields today and had the choice of 15mm at £2.18 or 15mm 1/2 inch at nearly a fiver.

I bought the cheaper one and the tail fits my rads but as they're pre-ancient and possibly around 30 years old I wonder if they need the 1/2 inch version.

Is this an interchangeable unit between metric and imperial?

Further to this I've got 15mm Drayton TRV 4's, should they be a 1/2 inch version too?

Sorry for a dumb moment question but need to get on with hanging these rads.

Sponsored Links
The copper pipe could be 15mm or 1/2". If the compression ring that comes with the valve fits over the pipe, then it is 15mm. you should then be able to fit the valve with out a problem.

Sponsored Links
I've just tried the new olives on the existing copper pipes and a piece of new pipe and they fit on both pipes the same.

A further point would be that as the old pipes are very slightly waisted where the previous compression joint was will this seal OK with new olives and fittings?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back