Bathroom Extractor Fan Views

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have very recently had our bathroom completely tiled (our first major house treat ) and as usual are doing things a bit back to front, we know we should have had a fan fitted but didn't, and now want one. Would whoever fitted it be able to drill through tiles, I would hope the fan would be fitted next to airing cupboard, obviously on outside wall and there would be hardly any channeling out as wiring would go straight into cupboard. Also can anyone recommend what they feel would be the best type to buy, never had one before so haven't a clue and would this be a straightforward job for the electrician. Any views welcome.
:oops: :eek: :oops: ;) :confused: :rolleyes: :oops:

Sponsored Links
I suppose you might be able to do it with a diamond core drill, but you might smash the tiles if not careful... if you have some spare might be easier to try and carefully remove the tiles in the area, fit fan and retile around hole.

You could put fan in ceiling, probably be easier, you take the ducting up and over and down through to a vent in the soffit

Go with adams suggestion for a ceiling fan. Get the sparks to wire it into the light switch, with a permanent live to keep the fan running for a minute or 2 after the light is turned off again
The fan you need is a 100mm timer model extractor fan. Available from all electric wholesalers. Dont go to a diy store for it as the idiots there wont know what a timer model is.

Simplest job in the world for a sparks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought about a ceiling fan to cut down on any mess. Tommo suggests one with timer to go off a minute or two after light goes off, but I find the bathroom after a shower is so steamy, its literally dripping down all walls even with windows open, that a minute or two would not be enough but suppose you could set this for longer but would this mean that everytime the bathroom light goes on that the fan comes on also. Suppose we could have one operating from its own switch just outside the bathroom and then we can use as and when we need or as long as we like. Can anyone recommend a really powerful fan which wont cost the earth I know sometimes some cheaper models of things can be just as good as the more expensive, or would you say you get what you pay for. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If the fan comes on as soon as you go in and turn the light on, and runs all the time you are taking your shower, and when you are drying off, cleaning your teeth, shaving your legs, cutting your toenails etc, then the bathroom will never reach the degree of wetness you describe. Mine comes on with the light switch and I don't find a delay timer necessary.

The time delay is generally adjustable up to 20 mins.

Anyone any opinions about the fans with a humidistat built in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back