Help with moving cooker switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly im new to forum, so hi.

Im having a new kitchen fitted soon and am probably going to move the cooker switch, as the hob and oven will be moved slightly left of where it is now.

My query is what is the recomended size of twin and earth for a (i think) 3kw electric cooker, and is it ok to use 30a connecting blocks to join the cable, as existing hasnt enough slack to pull to new location.
The connector will be left in the metal backplate and will try to cover with something waterproof and plasterboard before its replastered.

Any help will be brilliant

Thanks
Ant

Sponsored Links
6mm cable should be fine. It is not ideal to plaster over the old switch box if you have the connection there, but if it is unavoidable get a blanking plate put over it frist.

30A connectors should be fine but consider this:
Get 45A or bigger connectors. Twist together the old/new wires brown to brown, blue to blue etc. Use a pliers to do this. Insert the twisted pairs into the larger connector block from the same side.

You can now screw down both screws in the connector onto each core of the joint. Gives you a brilliant connection, and the wires are twisted together aswell, which can only help.

You are not supposed to use terminal connectors unless they are accessible so plastering over is a no no. BUT you can use insulated crimp connectors (yellow ones = 6mm²) or you could twist together (per above) and solder. Joints must be insulated, then cover the whole over with heat shrink sleeving - job done.

Taylortwocities said:
You are not supposed to use terminal connectors unless they are accessible so plastering over is a no no. .

Yeah, you're not supposed to do it but everyone does. It will probably be safer than him trying to solder or crimp the wires together. In my opinion those crimp connectors should be banned. People use vice grips and pliers to crimp them which give a terrible connection. Even using the proper tool will result in some damage to the insulation.

Not in my house, mate ;)

Sponsored Links
tommo2 said:
In my opinion those crimp connectors should be banned. People use vice grips and pliers to crimp them which give a terrible connection. Even using the proper tool will result in some damage to the insulation.

Why ban crimp connectors? They serve a purpose, you do need to use a proper ratchet crimp tool to ensure a proper connection. As for breaking the insulation, can't say I've ever had a problem with this happening using proper crimp pliers although if you use heat sleeve to cover them this isn't really a problem. Do you use different crimps over there in Ireland?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back