Applying mosaic tiles to a wood board - which type of wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a house with quite a badly planned shower positon.

The shower is next to a window with no where near enough tiles around it which means that water is getting onto the window ledge (no sill) and causing problems with damp / flaking paint / plaster.

In an ideal world i would get the window made smaller and tile the newly created wall space but after paying agents and solicitors fees my bank balance needs time to recover.

What i want to do is attach a board with brackets to cover about 1/3 of the window on the inside so that i can then attach mosaic tiles to it to match the ones already up.

Is there a specific type of wood that i should use for this, bearing in mind that it may get wet.

Also i wanted to put some sort of window sill down, preferably PVC but it seems that they all have an overhanging lip which would get in the way of my tile board, so i may have to use wood for this too. Could this be secured with adheasive (no more nails etc) or would it need to be screwed down?

Sponsored Links
WBP plywood??? It's specified for outdoor use and should be ok for shower...

i would use a waterproof tile backing board. hardibacker or aquapanel are the two big companies. search for these names in the forum.

they are about £11 for a 6ft by 3ft sheet. but i guess you will pay nearly that for a sheet of ply.

Sponsored Links
Have you thought about glass bricks?

In my last flat the shower cubicle took up about 1/3 of the window space so I put glass bricks in that third. It looked brilliant and kept the shower room bright.

Just an idea, it made a real feature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back