Intermittent banging noise from boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
details :
1) Potterton Profile ( about 3 or 4 years old )
2) No frost thermostat fitted – boiler located indoors
3) 3 speed pump – changes tone when the 3 position switch is operated but not sure how to thoroughly test to ensure it is actually pumping.
4) Banging noise happens when the timer switch is on or off
5) I disconnected the timer switch completely whilst it was making the noise the last time and it continued to operate.
6) Boiler constantly fires up / shuts down during fault ( every 30 seconds or so)
7) When I switch the boiler back on after a while ( a day or 2) it operates fine for some time ( a few days) before the fault reoccurs
8.) System does have a history of requiring bleeding via the radiators on a regular basis
9) System has independent Hot Water / Central heating ( it’s got 2 valves)
10) Fault started during a period when Central Heating not being used – only hot water ( still only using hot water)

Any suggestions gratefully received .

Sponsored Links
The switch on one of the two valves is sticking and holding the boiler on. It's banging because the valve isn't actually open.
As it's intermittent it's probably the HW one.
You can change the switch if you don't mind a fiddle and you're tight, most mortals change the head.

Sounds like you don't have a boiler bypass for the water to flow through. What size Profile?

That's great - thanks. The boiler is a profile 60. Funny you mention the bypass. Spotted a valve with no tap head on it and discovered it is shut - I am sure it's some sort of bypass. I've opened it now and the rads are hot so I've shut it again. No automatic bypass then. Next time fault occurs I'll change the HW valve

Sponsored Links
No, not to prevent it seizing, but to give a very slight bypass!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back