Overtightned compression fittings - copper tails damaged

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing all radiator valves and the tails seem to be squashed and slightly bent as though overtightened by a previous bod. I've had to cut most of the olives off, not a chance of sliding off and the old TRV's had a male thread backnut into a female valve body so can't be reused.

Can I straighten them up with a drift or do I need to cut back and replace a few inches?

The pipes all come out of a concrete floor and I'm not a solderer, at least not where it's on show! Tectite sprint fittings look the neatest way of doing this besides soldering.

Any advice appreciated.

http://www.yorkshirefittings.co.uk/fittings.cfm?brand=05&defsub=31

Sponsored Links
If you were able to nip off the old olive without damaging the pipe, you will probably be able to fit a new nut and olive and make a successful joint.

The olives usually do squash down into the pipe a bit as the nut is tightened.

Sometimes you can re-use the old nut and olive, as long as the tail length and thread is exactly the same.

With the old valves having the olive right at the end of the pipe (which I think is the type you mean), once removed, your new valves' olives would be on an unused piece - though that might be right where they're bent.
I would expect that if you use some Fernox LS-X on the new olives , you'll be OK.

If the old TRVs are the old Danfoss pattern you may find that the pipe, if set in the floor, is not long enough anyway.

Sponsored Links
The pipes are long enough. If anything need about 1-2mm taking off for a perfect non strained fit.

Only the TRV's are this style, the lockshields have standard backnuts and olives. As they're really old, grubby and 'orrid they're going out.

Will Fernox LS-X seal any waisted pipe where an olive has been overtightened?

Pretty much. If you use copper olives they'll distort onto an uneven pipe more easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back