Sink Plug Mechanism

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

Having spent last week fitting my first new bathroom I was feeling quite pleased with myself with only the sink waste pipe to fit over the weekend. However's it's turning in to a nightmare, even though I know it should be easy! Please help me if you can!...

The plug mechanism consists of three metal rods:
1 - the lever that comes out of the back of the tap and down in to the underside of the sink.
2 - a straight rod that screws in to rod 1 under the sink
3 - runs parallel to the floor and uses a 'swivel joint' to connect to rod 2 and then in to the 'down-pipe' of the plug. This rod enters in to the down-pipe via a ball (metal - part of rod 3) and socket (rubber) joint, and moving the lever, forces it up or down to move the plug. The ball and socket sit inside a cap that screws in to the down-pipe keeping it in place.

My problem is, is there is an element of 'play' in rod 3 (probably about 5mm), no matter how I arrange the three rods. Therefore the ball doesn't sit firmly in the socket. Hence when the sink is draining, water pours out of the cap.

Has anybody got any tips for fitting these mechanisms or can suggest what I've done wrong, (or if it sounds like the part is faulty - am I being a poor workman & blaming my tools?!) please.

Any advice will be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,

JL.

PS - Apologies if this is a repeated question - I couldn't find it on a search. If it is, please direct me to previous responses.

Sponsored Links
The ball should fit so well in the socket that if you do the nut up hard-finger tight the rod won't move. Methinks it isn't assembled correctly in there.

Recently did the same myself. I took it apart again and reassembled it thus:-

1. Fit plastic socket into spigot on waste outlet.
2. Fit metal ball on rod into plastic socket
3. fit knurled cap to clamp ball into plastic socket.
4. Adjust screw on bottom of plug to meet rod end in waste pipe with a small amount of play to allow plug to seat.
5. Show off what a great job you've done to all and sundry :cool:

I had reversed (1) and (2), so the ball wasn't supported inside the spigot, leaving about 1/8"of play with the cap tightened up. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back