Lining The Ceiling In A Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dads bathroom ceiling was recently plastered, but it's not to hot and there are some trowel marks etc showing. Can get hold of the tw@t that done it so i'm was planning on lining the ceiling with 1000 grade paper and using a vinyl paint. Is this OK or would the condensation in the bathroom cause problems. There is ventilation in the form of a window but can't be assured that he will always open this.

Any other "positive"suggestions would be welcome (god that's like a red flag to a bull)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Cant you just fill the trowel marks etc?, its normal after a plasterer has been in lol.

I have lined the odd bathroom ceiling, admittidly its been for senior citizens, so they dont use the bath/shower as much as a average family, and the paper has stayed up okay.

I use the 1400 grade L/P excellent stuff, quite heavy, but need to soak well, but you could prbably get away with 1000/1200
If you go for the L/P, size your ceiling the night before, just knock up a thin paste, and slap it on the ceiling, then next day, just paste your paper, and away you go.

I always tend to put a bit of paste where the papers going to butt, it something I have always done, especially with the 1400. :D

Scrape off any ridges and fill any gouges and then paint it (follow the instructions on the tin). Lining paper looks awful and it would be a right pain to paper above your head around lights etc.

Yeh line it if you like, but as the others have said..scrape off and fill the bad stuff first...lining paper isnt a cure all.

As spice said make sure you size it first and I would use a ready mixed paste to stick it with as it has a bit more guts about it.

Paint the ceiling with matt instead of silk or kitchen and bathroom paint (acrylic eggshell) the matt will help gisguise the uneven surface, anything shiny wont.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back