Is the Gully size important

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to these forums as I am looking for some kind person to settle both mine and my mothers minds.

I just spoke to my mum on the phone and she's had a builder come to repair the roof, it was leaking into the electrics!

The issue is that she's worried sick that the gully is "too wide". Apparently she was expecting it to be like the others she had seen, about 6inches wide, but it actually about double that.

Are her worries justified? Does the size of it matter?

Thanks in advance if anyone can give an independant expert view on this.
Tom :)

Sponsored Links
Posting some pics would really help the regulars here. There is information about posting pictures if you need it.

ok thanks.

I will get her to send me some photographs of the work and then post them.

Sponsored Links
IMHO if it's water tight, then size doesn't matter, but pics would be good.

Unless if you ask a female, ( regarding size ) :LOL: ;)

Simply thinking fundamentally, the size / fall of the valley would be important in relation the the surface area into which the water drained in to it, if you catch my drift, now at a guess I would say the following was relevant

1) surface area being drained into valley
2) capacity of valley
3) Valley's drainage rate.

I'd imagine a basic requirement is that the volume of water per unit of time entering the valley should not exceed the rate at which the valley can get rid of the water. Otherwise you're knacked !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back