vent thingymagigy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what are those 3/4 inch vent things i see tee'd into F or R pipes on the top of older heat only boilers?

(they look like 3/4 compression cap end's with a series of holes around it).[/u]

Sponsored Links
good old fashioned prv,s that leak down the side off the pipe. designed to protect open vented boiler,s incase of blockages or freezing.

ah ha! - at last.

I thought they were some sort of vent, but did not understand there application, why dont 'we' use them anymore, is it because boilers are just to clever these days? :LOL:

Technically the requirement still exists in theory.

In practice however with loft insulation and double glazing the heating pipes in a house are not expected to freeze so they are not fitted any more.

When I was very small my Grandmother had a coke ( whats that? ) boiler in her kitchen with one of those PRVs which was all crusted with lime and I was always facinated by it.

That was directly heating the hot water cylinder upstairs by gravity!

I went round the house a few years ago as its still owned by the same people who bought it after my grandfather died and my grandmother emigrated to Australia. Now it has a Vaillant combi and central heating!

Tony

Sponsored Links
We still use PRVs, but they are now preset to 3 Bar and have discharge pipes to outside (very sensible). The old safety valves were only a last resort if all else failed so I guess it didn't matter too much where they discharged.

chrishut

but 'modern' PRV's are only present\required for sealed systems or are you saying you put them on open vented systems ?

Them old boilers didn't usually have "high limit" stats, which as you will know, are a requirement for a sealed system.
So with a modern boiler (with a HLS) you either have an open vent or a prv as well, so two safety devices already.

"safety" valve .....that was a misnomer if ever there was :rolleyes: ...that`s what they were called

Nige F said:
"safety" valve .....that was a misnomer if ever there was :rolleyes: ...that`s what they were called

they should be called ''slightly safer than your boiler boiling your water and exploding valves'' :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back