Plastic pipe v copper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm interested to know people's views on this.

Plastic with push fittings

v

Plastic with compression fittings

v

Copper

Sponsored Links
do a serach, loads of posts.

the search facility is screwy, but if you type

+plastic +pushfit it will come up with plenty of bedtime reading.

ignore Kev, hes just being sarcy :p

Soldered copper pipework is the way to go. Costs more, but you know it will last 30 years. Who will put their pension on plastic lasting that long. Come to think of it, who has a pension?

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
plastic, plastic work of the devil :eek: :eek:
dunno why we stopped using lead
can't get my head round this new fangled copper stuff
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

LEAD?????????? the Romans managed fine with elm!!!!!

I thought that the Romans used lead for everything and ended up getting severely mentally impaired as a result of lead poisoning which ultimately led to the fall of their Empire

htgeng said:
Who will put their pension on plastic lasting that long.
I would - as long as it wasn't you who installed it. :evil:

Sounds like a not too long ago post that will go round & round with personal preference's apart from UFCH pushfit fittings in my humble opinion are Sh1Te. not that this or opinions matter as long as we have a choice lifes full of sh1te if u choose it.:cool: :p :p :p ;)

The point that almost everyone perpetually misses is that the only wrong view is to have a personal preference.

If you approach every job with the aim of fitting the right materials for the circumstances then you'll use what's best, each time; which means that you don't always use plastic, or pushfit, or Hep, or JG, or Osma, or Tectite, or PE-X, or HDPE, or UHMWPE, or barrier, or non-barrier, or coiled, or straight, or copper, or solder ring, or end feed, or leaded, or non-leaded, or compression, or crimped, or stainless, or solvent welded, or MDPE, or just some old bits of canneloni held together with a robust mozzarella sauce. :rolleyes:

What's wrong with bits of canneloni held together with a robust mozzarella sauce? I find it works fine everytime. :rolleyes:

Ah well, according to my pastor it's morally wrong because it works only if the cheese is devilled.

Softus said:
The point that almost everyone perpetually misses is that the only wrong view is to have a personal preference.

If you approach every job with the aim of fitting the right materials for the circumstances then you'll use what's best, each time;.. ..

Know what you mean, but the personal, subjective bit is the doubt which will hang over, eg, the O rings, until they've been in service for 40 years.

That's certainly a rational viewpoint, but O rings get a disproportionately bad press because, I surmise, of poor installation practise.

Whenever I see someone complain about pushfit I ask for objective and precise information. It's very rarely forthcoming - more often the poster reverts to his default blinkered opinion and claims that plastic and pushfit are both "unprofessional".

When there is more information it invariably reveals that it isn't 5, 10, or even 20 year old fittings that are the problem, but ones that some git installed last week after gouging the pipe or jamming hacksawed copper into an O ring.

I know that the quantity of soldered and compression fittings in use vastly outnumbers pushfits, but every leak that I can remember has been on copper with pinhles next to lumps of flux, or overtightened olives, or joints all covered with mait and/or hemp, or unsupported pipework moving and chafing, or old brittle lead, or rusted out ferrous pipe, or countless ways in which an idiot has created a latent fault.

The problem isn't with new technology, it's with people who can't be bothered to learn how to use it. And it's uncanny how the number of installers who claim that pushfit is "easy" and therefore suitable for DIYers is almost an exact match for those who've taken no time out to read the MIs. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back