Ok you clever lot whats the best way to remove old grouting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed all the tiles, I have to clean the walls ready for re-tiling and its a plasterboard walling.

So I've got an Orbitor Sander, Electric belt sander, Electric planer and Disc grinder. :LOL:

What would you recommend is the best way to clean up the wall ready for re-tiling, I know I got to do some skimming in places to repair.

Sponsored Links
I've cleaned most of the wall free of the old adhesive now.

The wall has some shallow gouges where the plaster board or paper covering came away with the tiles.

What should I use to repair/prepare the wall, especially around the bath/shower ready for re-tiling.

Have been searching for info.

Most places advise using "PVA Building Adhesive" to repair and seal the plasterboard ready for tiling.

Any comments please. ;)

Yeah, don't use PVA. The tiles are there presumably to stop water getting to the surface? If so, what will happen if water does somehow get behind the tiles and you used PVA?

That's right, the tiles will not be stuck any longer :cry:

Sponsored Links
Thanks, fair enough you've got a point.

What would you suggest, a normal adhesive or a pollyfilla type ??. Or whatever.

I want to complete the job tomorrow. :rolleyes:

You need not worry about holes (unless they're large and deep) if you're tiling over them - the adhesive will fill them in. You might want to think about tanking the walls before tiling though if you're doing round a shower. That's a waterproof barrier that will prevent water damage to the plasterboard should any water get through the grout.

Thanks,

There seems to be a conflict,

I suggested using a pva type adhesive and was advised against it, as where will the water go if it gets behind the tiles.

Then adivsed to waterproof the walls.

Won't this have the same effect as PVA, which advised against.

:confused:

utterlydiy
My good friend Gcol was referring to tanking /waterproofing the walls where there will be constant water spray ,

Tanking is a way to permenantly waterproof that wall/area against water damage ,
get BAL WP1 TANKING SYSTEM, or similar an then seal the area an then tile over
jobs a good one ;)

btw pva, Pffft ....not when you tile thank you :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back