extending lighting spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lighting spur from a 5 amp lighting circuit that currently switches on an interior and an exterior light at the same time.
I want to split the spur - install a 2 gang switch and switch the interior and exterior lights independently.
The lights run from a junction box at the moment. (Supply in - 2 lights & switch out).
Can I simply cut the supply and install a 2nd junction box. Then run supply in - light, switch and supply out (to next junction box). Finally running supply in - light and switch out at original junction box.

Or do I need to find the Lighting ring and take a new spur from there?

Thanks in advance...

Gio :confused:

Sponsored Links
if you are saying you have 2 lights controlled from one separate switch, but can see one cable from each light (2 in total) all you need to do is switch the switch to a 2 gang switch

it should be like this:

2 reds in L1 (from both lights)

1 red in c (from supply)

copy this to new switch.

take one red from L1 and put it into L1 of second switch(new switch)

put a 1mm (diameter) red wire from C (still has origonal red wire) into new C terminal put switch back, turn supply back on, have a nice day

Hi, Thanks very much for your reply.

Still not quite got it though.

The original set-up is like this... Switch has only 1 red in the L1 socket - this goes back up to junction box and branches to 2 lights from there.

Could I do as you said, patch red across the C inputs on a double switch, then take a single red from the L1 (switch 2) back up straight to the 2nd light (or back to the junction box - then to the light).

The Red from L1 (on the 1st switch) would now go back to the 1st light (or back to the junction box - then to the light).

Thanks again

G

Sponsored Links
so what is in C then?

it sounds like you will ned to run a new cable fom this junction box to the switch.

you must also identify which wire goes to which light (but you can do that by dissconecting one and seeing which light doesn't)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back