Oven/Hob not working

UW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our electric oven and ceramic hob both stopped working at the same time. They are separate appliances, so it doesn't seem to be a fault with them.
However, there is also a plug socket beside the switch for the cooker power and it still works.
I know they are on the same circuit as when I take the cooker fuse out, that plug stops working.
Mainly, I was wondering if the fuse could be damaged to the extent that it would stop the cooker from working, but the plug socket would still function?
Or if you have any other suggestions they are welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Basic fault finding first. You'll need to switch it all off, take the oven out and see how they are wired up. Check the wiring for breaks and damage.

It could of course be that the switch on the wall has burned out and there's no power going anywhere.

Thanks for the advice.

The way our kitchen is fitted, taking the oven out would be very difficult.

Is there a way to tell if the switch is at fault?
Incidentally, when one of the knobs on the hob is turned around, the indicator light flickers briefly. This only happens when the switch is on, I'm not sure what that could mean.

You can meter the switch, with the power to it isolated of course, and see if the switch is working.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, If you don't know how to use a meter to test things I can't advise you further.
Working on electrics can be dangerous and I can only recommend you get someone in to do the testing for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back