2 out of 3 aint bad...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sealed system with vented hot water that also has an immersion heater (thank god). Having drained the system to move a rad on the first floor, the hot water is heating up and the first floor rads and attic rad, but not the ground floor rads. hmmm.....

The pipework for the groundfloor rads is below the drain point I was using to drain the system. I also had closed all the rads. Is it likely there is an airlock in the ground floor pipework? ....

How do I clear it!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
shut off every rad that works and select heating only, it should clear. If not, shut ever rad but one, when it is cleared shut that and open next problem one ad fixum nausium.

SLudge sometimes all moves downstairs when you drain the system - was the water clean?

The water was totally clear. It was a new install about 5 years ago and was fernoxed then. Is it possible that if the shutting off rads trick doesn't work then it might need a power flush? I'll try this week.. hope we don't have a cold snap :)

Cheers!

edit: on the plus, unless the noise comes from the bottom rad pipework, the pump is now silent, which is something the British Gas engineer didn't manage when he serviced it 2 years ago. hmm...

Sponsored Links
Tried opening one rad on the ground floor at a time with the upstairs rads closed and they all got hot. Didn't sound liike they needed bleeding - should have done but didn't yet. But more than one rad is no go, still only the one that was already hot stays hot and the other might get a little warm or not at all.

Shall I turn the pressure up? Currently at 1.2, although the "previous highest pressure measure" says 1.7. Take it up a couple of notches and see if that makes a difference?

Cheers! .... Nearly there... the finishing post is in sight!!!

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back