installing an putside light to the garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, if i wanted to put an outside light on the back of a house for the garden, i suppose the best way would be to come of the nearest electrical source, but can it be any of the feeds from either sockets or water heaters or boiler switch etc as long is a use the correct 3amp fused spur as a switch for the light?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
You should not wire a floodlight from a lighting circuit. You should not spur from a spur. The OSG advises an immersion should be on its own circuit.

(Although others here reckon it's ok as it is not forbidden in 7671, as long as you design for it)

i thought you can spur from a spur as long as they were both fused?

plus i thought you could come of the lighting circuit as long as it doesnt exceed the watts necessary to trio the fuse?

anyway what would you say is the best option here?

You can install a 13A spur from a ring final and from the load side of the fused spur, install as many fused spurs as 13A allows in a radial configuration, normal circuit design permitting.
What size lamp in the outside light are you talking of?

Sponsored Links
probably just a 150 w type, plus so im not allowed to come off water heater feed etc? is it because it has to be seperate?

is the normal practise to come off a socket with a switched spur for the outside light? plus can i not come of the feed from the ceiling rose of i can access correctly?

thanks

It depends taking into account future expansion (if Mrs Booyaka wants a 6 lamp chandelier etc) how much capacity is left on the lighting circuit. If it is deemed there is enough capacity left on the lighting circuit you may connect the 150w light to it. If it is likely you will want a 500w one it will be better to come from a spur off a socket circuit.

ya know the switched sspurs for the washing machine etc can i come off there too? or justs the lights and ring final?

Booyaka said:
ya know the switched sspurs for the washing machine etc can i come off there too? or justs the lights and ring final?
Spark123 said:
from the load side of the fused spur, install as many fused spurs as 13A allows in a radial configuration, normal circuit design permitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back