need a good door closer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to get a good door closer to shut the living room door (please don't sugget a person, as that is the reason I need a mechanical one!) The door isn't too heavy so I don't think it needs to be too strong. I don't like the idea of those springy ones the push the door closed. I'd prefer one of those on the top of doors. The only problem with them is they can be a bit on the large side. I'd prefer something a little more discreet. Anyone have any recommendations?

are the yale ones any good? seem a bit overpriced, but then, with yale you would expect it to work properly.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
What a bout rising butt hinges! they won't latch a door but they will close it under gravity.

p2493448_x.jpg

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
Perko Door Closer.
Far neater.

p4135700_x.jpg

Now you see it... The tubular part is put in a hole drilled in the side of the door. Only the chain and the two brass plates are visible.

the perko looks just the thing I need. Can you adjust the speed at which it returns shut. I don't want to be in a situation where it either slams shut or moves with too little force and doesn't fully shut. Is there any adjustments that can be made?

You can adjust the "pull" by lengthening or shortening the pull-chain fixing position (it is attached to a spring in the tubular part).

If you have a window open, so that there is a breeze blowing the door shut at the same time that the Perko is closing it, the doors are liable to slam (they do not have any damping). You can adjust them to close fairly smoothly as long as there is no wind.

I have thought about some kind of soft draught-excluder or smoke brush strip to muffle the slam, but have not yet found a solution. It is worse when you have people in the house who were born in fields and do not close doors behind them. You can get a "Blum" device which pneumatically damps the shutting of cabinet doors to prevent then slamming, I haven't seen a similar device for room doors (mine are fire resistant so quite heavy).

thanks JohnD, much appreciated.

No one who was born in a field here, however, what can you say to people who nip to the kitchen to put the kettle on, leave the door wide open, and 5 minutes later come back and tell you, "gosh, it's got cold in here."

And before I get accused of sitting around waiting for others to make the tea, I do most of the cooking!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back