Boiler not firing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Gloworm ultimate boiler, which is failing to fire.
The system is a conventional open system.
The pump is running and the pilot light is lit. When the controller signals for the boiler to fire you can hear a 'click' from the boiler as it tries to fire.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

David Cooper

Sponsored Links
Have you recently relit the pilot?

Is the gas valve knob in the "run" position?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Gas valve might be sticking closed. It's easily accessible - on the right hand side behind the lower cover. If you're lucky it'll open if you give it a tap with a medium sized screwdriver handle, though an electrical test would be worth doing first (see that other thread).

Tried tapping gas valve, but no luck. I have checked for power at solenoid and reading 240v.

When boiler tries to fire a click can be heard? not sure exactly where this is coming from but would this be the solenoid valve opening?????

If you disconnect and measure the solenoid resistance and it's correct at a few thousand ohms, you may need a new gas valve.

Would hazard a guess that the click may be a relay switching the 240v on? Try doing the swap of main valve and pilot valve solenoids (as discussed in the other thread) to see if it is a solenoid problem. If the solenoid has failed then after the swap the pilot light should not ignite when requested

Surely this is a permanent pilot light boiler Ollie?

A bit of a waste of a sequence board if it is ...

The pcb is basically like a fuelsaver with lights

Agile said:
Surely this is a permanent pilot light boiler Ollie?

Maybe they do both then? I have a Gloworm Ultimate at home which is not a permanent pilot light as I went through the swapping solenoids route to try and diagnose the same problem as the OP is having. Bizzarely swapping the solenoids fixed the boiler and it's still going string now (maybe a stuck valve or loose connection that i made better - who knows)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back