Cooker Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of replacing the single cooker our house with a Bosch single oven. Currently the cooker is plugged in to a double socket in one of the cupboards via a standard 13 amp plug. Whether this is on a higher rated wiring ring though is unclear as on the \\\"fuse board\\\" there is a separate switch for the cooker. Bosch tell me that the oven is 2.9 Kw and should be wired in to a 13 amp fused spur. Am I right in assuming therefore I can just put a plug on the end of the wire and plug it in the existing place rather than replacing the current double socket (the other socket is used only for the electric supply to the gas hob)?

Sponsored Links
drdave said:
I am in the process of replacing the single cooker our house with a Bosch single oven. Currently the cooker is plugged in to a double socket in one of the cupboards via a standard 13 amp plug.
Sockets shouldn't really be in cupboards....

Whether this is on a higher rated wiring ring though is unclear as on the \\\"fuse board\\\" there is a separate switch for the cooker.
Well - does that socket go dead when you turn that MCB off?

What rating is the MCB, and what size is the cable? (see here for info on why these two facts are related).

Is there a cooker control switch anywhere in the kitchen?

Bosch tell me that the oven is 2.9 Kw and should be wired in to a 13 amp fused spur. Am I right in assuming therefore I can just put a plug on the end of the wire and plug it in the existing place rather than replacing the current double socket (the other socket is used only for the electric supply to the gas hob)?
Yes - you may use a plug & socket to supply the oven instead of a fused spur, but given the location of the socket I would say that it is questionable whether it conforms to the wiring regulations for accessibility in an emergency....

Thanks for your helpful and prompt reply - I am at work at the moment, will check on the above later.

Have had a chance to look at things in a bit more detail - The cooker does go dead if the cooker MCB is turned off (a Hager MT132 B32, 32 amp rated I believe)

There is not a separate cooker control switch in the kitchen. As yet I am unable to see what the cable is like wired in to the socket is, but will be able to see this when I have taken the oven out due to where the wires run in the kitchen. Presumably it should be the heavier rated cable (sorry I don't know the technical term!)

Many thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back