Add a Socket in Sink Cupboard.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning my kitchen with an integrated Dishwasher and Washing Machine either side of my sink cupboard.
Should I add a socket in the sink cupboard with a cutout (easy access but not sure if this is allowed) or behind each of the appliances.

Is there a proper way to do this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Remember Part P! You'll need to have installed switched fused spurs, this allows for the appliances to be isolated in the events of a fault without having to pull the kitchen apart to turn a plug off

Ok, so if I put a switched fused spur for each behind the sink cupboard with a cutout for access and connected these to 13A plug sockets behind the appliances?

Does that sound right for Part P?

Part P means its notifable work and only a competant person should be doing it. The switched fused spurs would be located above the work surfaces and the lead from the appliance would go to that. theres no plug, the fuse is actually in the spur, so no need for one

Sponsored Links
Doesn't that mean plastering in the lead from the appliance? I dont want any visible cables.

Hmmm, has been done by feeding a single non switched socket from a fused spur above the work surface. Isolation above and removable below.

New2Game said:
The switched fused spurs would be located above the work surfaces and the lead from the appliance would go to that. theres no plug, the fuse is actually in the spur, so no need for one

I disagree. The last thing I'd advise anyone to do is cut the plug off a new appliance and connect it into a fused spur before buryng the flex behind tiling or plaster. What happens if it goes wrong and the appliance needs to be returned after you've butchered the cable? There's also a good chance that the cable wouldn't be long enough to allow the appliance to be pulled out from under the worktops for maintenance if you do this, and I'd have thought it pretty bad practise to be burying flex in walls anyway.

If you want to go down this road, it's generally considered good practise to fit a double pole switch above the worktop feeding a unswitched socket below the worktop where you can plug the appliance in. Alternatively, although it may not be best practise there's nothing wrong (by the regs) in installing a normal switched socket below the worktop, either behind the appliance or in an adjacent cupboard (but mounted on the building fabric).

Or if you don't mind cutting the plug off, you can replace it with an unfused one, e.g. 15A BS546 or Schuko, and supply the socket from a switched FCU above the worktop, or if you have a lot of appliances together, from a grid of switch and fuse modules.

I didnt think schucko plugs were widely available in this country. Do they meet British Standards?

ban-all-sheds said:
Or if you don't mind cutting the plug off, you can replace it with an unfused one, e.g. 15A BS546 or Schuko, and supply the socket from a switched FCU above the worktop, or if you have a lot of appliances together, from a grid of switch and fuse modules.

That's my preferred method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back