Is this too expensive for a new boiler installation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a quote to replace my back boiler with a combi baxi 105he including vertical flue kit in airing cupboard which will go through the roof.
The quote also includes the removal of hot water cyliner and tank in loft and unnecessary pie work, controls pumps. Boiler to have a mechanical 24hr time clock and room thermostat, all labour and materials. The quote also inlcudes covering up the hole left by the back boiler.

QUOTE - £1950.

I have got back to him to see if he can get this down and is looking into it.
I know the plumber is very good and highly recommended.

Sponsored Links
It's very important that the system is flushed properly before the combi is used, preferably with a power flushing machine.

If that's included, not knowing any details like how long the flue is, it sounds OK. You will need a new gas pipe back to the meter, because the new boiler uses twice as much gas as the old one.

As always though - get three quotes, starting with British Gas.

Sponsored Links
The plumber said he will need to join about 3 pieces of flue to reach the roof. Yes this price includes a new gas pipe from the meter and he did mention about cleaning out the central heating system but not a power flushing machine.

Thanks for your replies.

sounds cheap to me too-suppose it depends on your area but my price would be a few hundred higher than that so go for it if he is recommended. :)

he sounds approx £500 to much, in my humble opinion anyway. The Baxi condensing boiler don't cost too much does it?.......about a 1/4 of the £2k cost?

If this is cheap for 3-4 days work then I'm in the wrong business.
Just to add another question is the boiler quoted for worth going with? - Baxi 105he

The cost online for this boiler works out approx £700 (inc VAT) so he is adding £1300 on top. I thought it was dear but there is mixed reactions.

boiler with clock £700. flue = £220 approx.pipe= 22mm £100. 15mm £60 per bundle. fittings = £50. electrics = £100. chemicals = £30 to £50. + clips , plugs , screws , filling loop. transport , rubbish removal , insurance , tax. sounds a very reasonable price to me.

Thanks fitz for a precise answer. It will be interseting to see what he quotes next.

What about scaffolding for access to roof as you cant now work off a roof ladder also do rad valves need changing (not bs2767)

He as included a builder to get on the roof and fix the flue to the tiles in his quote.

So 1300 for bits, and 150 to a man to get on the roof leaves £500 out of the 1950. If it does take him 4 days, then by the time you add getting the parts, sorting the van, doing the accounts etc that's all he'll do that week. Say 40 productive weeks a year, after hols, (unpaid) sickness, national holidays, redoing the accounts, getting the van fixed, callbacks etc.
So he's grossing £20,000 pa, out of which he has to pay minumum £5000pa to run the business, more likely nearer £10,000, say 8. leaving £12kpa

So he ends up where he would be just as well off taking a job which pays him £50 per day with the usual emloyees' benefits of sick pay and holiday pay.

Yep its a bargain price if its all done properly and to regs. Hope he's powerflushing and changing all the radiator valves (quality TRV's and BS2767 Pt10 lockshileds) - essential for any hope of reliability.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back