Neff U1422 Double Oven Wiring Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have just pruchased a Neff U1422 oven which is rated at 4.6Kw.
Our old oven was on a separate mains circuit with a 32amp fuse.
Firstly will it be ok to put the new oven on this fuse rating ?

Secondly, I'm struggling with the cable connectors at the back of the oven.
I've taken off the plate and fed through the cable fine. However when it comes to actually making the connection I'm not 100% sure how this should be done. The old oven had a connector that was like an enralged plug connector where you pushed the wire into a hole and then tightened a
gripping screw. The new oven just has a very large screw, with no holes. Now I could expose more wire and loop this round the screw (the screw has a large head), but it doesn't seem to be the best way of connecting the cable.

Should I loop the cable or am I missing something here ? Should I be using a specail connector or something ?

Attached is a picture of the connectors,

thanks in advance for any help,

Stuart and Emily

Sponsored Links
you have to upload the image to a image host such as

www.imageshack.us

cheers.

that fuse rating should be fine, but since 4.6kw is exactly 20 amps at 230 volts, I would be inclined to replace the MCB with a 20 amp one.

Sponsored Links
ecwoodhouse said:
One image,
sorry about that.

Stuart and Emily

dsc01380uf4.th.jpg
that image should be clickable. :confused: as it is, we cant see a lot.

host it again, and copy the link that says "direct link to this image"

and just paste it in a reply here, dont put any tags around it.

++++++++++++

It looks like you have 2 terminals on a brown / plastic mount, these would be L and N

And another terminal for earth - this looks like its behind the cable as we look at it.

Are the instructions no help? We cant be sure until we see the big image!

Surely you've got the instruction manual?

If not, do what I did. Go to Neffs web site and download the book.
Go to Neff owners then support or something and type your model number in the little box. http://www.neff.co.uk/U1422.html

If you look it will tell you that the sequence is

Earth Live Neutral

It also says The connection diagramm is located on the rear panel of the
appliance.

Shouldnt be too difficult, can it?

TTC

It looks like the left terminal is LIVE and the right terminal is NEUTRAL (only judging by the slight bit of wire i can see in those crimp connectors - check the instructions.)

Strip a bit more off the 2 cores and form a loop on them, this loop will then wrap round the screws (clockwise so they get pulled in as you tighten the screws). Connect the earth wire to that screw down there on the bottom left behind the cable, in the same fashion.

Bit of a give away that. Shame I wasted my time confirming the obvious.

(I'll duck while folk tell me not to be rude but..............)

TTC

I got the impression that Emily wasn't asking about polarity, but about the physics of getting the 6mm2 conductors securely attached to the terminals.

What I do is remove each screw and form the bare cable into a loop which the screw is inserted into and tightened up.

securespark said:
I got the impression that Emily wasn't asking about polarity, but about the physics of getting the 6mm2 conductors securely attached to the terminals.

What I do is remove each screw and form the bare cable into a loop which the screw is inserted into and tightened up.
thought you might have come ratchet crimpers handy - wouldn't an ideal way be to crimp a couple of eyes on there?

A couple of those square washers with the turned down edges (have they got a name?) would be handy.

Most homeowners haven't got ratchet crimps, and a badly-attached ring might come loose.

I think I'd agree about forming the end of the cable into a loop. Long-nose pliers may help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back