Must HE boilers have sealed systems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents had a new boiler last winter, and of course they've fitted a sealed system. That means Dad has to call out a pro every time he wants to bleed a rad to repressurize the system - abit expensive, but he's wary of doing it himself.

My boiler is about ready for replacement, but I want to keep my lovely, simple (I understand and can nurse it) open vented system. Do HE boilers have to be sealed systems, or can I just get a CORGI man (or woman) in to replace the boiler, without ripping out everything else?

Sponsored Links
No, there are HE boilers that are quite naturally designed for open vented systems. Why you would want this is beyond me though.

I guess it's because I know how an open vented system works. What are the advantages of a sealed system?

1) More efficient operation
2) Limited amount of oxygen in system = limited potential for corrosion
3) Elimination of stored water in loft = less risk of water damage due to damaged pipes
4) Finite amount of water in system = same as above
5) Nice shiney filling loop to impress your neighbours

Sponsored Links
An open system is not open to the air for oxygen to dissolve and rust the rads!

An open system has an F&E tank to freeze or float valve to fail.

The open vent is 4% less efficient ( according to the energy efficiency teaching ).

Only a few boilers will work on an open system.

There is no advantage of an open system!!!

Tony

Or better still show your dad how easy it is to re-pressurise the system, (his installer should have already explained this by the way) and dont forget to disconnect the filling loop when your done.

But if you want an open vent condenser look at;

Worcester Bosch Ri and CDi conventional ranges, between 12 and 40Kw
Viessmann 100 series Compact, between 18 and 24Kw

Operation of the filling loop is explain in the FAQ topic and the Wiki. It's really very simple. It may be that the existing filling loop valves need a screwdriver to operate, although the valves could be changed for ones with levers. Also make sure the filling loop is located in an easily accessible position, normally immediately under the boiler.

We've vented it and repressurized or rather the CORGI guy who fitted it has, and shown Dad how to do it in future, but now it's only working intermittently. Fortunately it's still under warranty, but I dread to think how much it will cost next year when the warranty runs out and they have to pay for the call -out everytime something doesn't work. I think I may well stay with my 30yr old boiler. It's reliable. And the saving in fuel cost could easily be eaten up by the maintenance cost.

You are missing the point !

Your dad boiler has a fault and with contuinued topping up this will result in a more expensive repair .

Get a Heating Engineer round to sort the problem out once and for all .

Arf .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back