Boiler broken and quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There
I wondered if any experts out there could check the advice I've been given, I've no particular reason to doubt it but its good to get a second opinion.
My boiler has been leaking from the flue pipe, and its been getting worse.
Got a plumber in who said that basically the bolier has had it, its a leak and probably from the heat exchange, it could be repaired (for about 300 quid) but its not cost effective to do so. The current boiler is a potterton combi 80 and about 6 yrs old.
He is quoting me a price of about 1200 all in to supply and fit a new one, which would be an alpha condensing combi boiler and I think he said its power is 33kw.
There are 8 radiators in the house though only ever probably use 3 of them simoultaneously.
Does this sound ok to you, both the advice on needing a replacement, and the quote itself?

Many Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
Your description of the fault does not sound very comprehensive so I cannot come to any proper conclusion about the fault or cost of repair.

Its not a very reliable boiler but there are a lot about and they are quite repairable for anyone who understands them.

The price of £1200 to supply and fit a 32 kW Alpha condensing boiler seems very reasonable indeed as long as it includes cleaning the system and taking responsibility for any problems arising from dirt in the system. By aware that a dirty system is NOT covered by the manufacturer's guarantee as its the installer's fault. I am inclined to suggest you accept it but that depends on your finances and willingness to spend the money.

Obviously he should be CORGi registered and you can check his reg number at corgi-gas or inspect his corgi photo card.

Tony

They can only inspect his card if corgi can be bothered to send it out, I waited months for mine this year after three attempts and £11 donation to the corgi inefficiency tin I got one at alst last week.

Might only be the seal on the inner and outer flue.

Otherwise jobs a goodun if system is propely cleansed or clean.

Pay another hundred and insist on a boilerbuddy or magnaclean. Absolutely insist on it.

Not to pay £100 to protect a £1200 investment is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard of.

Mine took three attempts and they have left off my commercial gas ratings.

Oddly, unlike many others I have got the energy efficiency included though!

Tony

Sponsored Links
"""Not to pay £100 to protect a £1200 investment is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard of."""

That sounds like an ad-line for Chris Adney!

I should get to say hello to him at Interbuild soon.

The Alpha boilers probably still have a little part which tries to trap dirt from the return. It works much better if you add a magnet to it though!

Tony

Oh yes i was forgeting that. I fitted an Alpha recently, but I still put my usual filter in. Actually in this case as I was replacing a regular boiler with a system boiler I stuck a boilerbuddy where the old pump was. Just couldn't resist the simplicity of my plan, and the airing cupboard is a perfectly sensible place for a boilerbuddy.

Actually I'm quite impressed with ALpha.

I recon the OP lives in a seaside town full of bedsit sinmgle parent family's, minimum wage earners and loafers, somwhere like where I live. The sort of place where our worth is devalued such that we have to contribute to our set up costs and overheads from our savings.

Thanks again New Labour.

Paul Barker said:
They can only inspect his card if corgi can be bothered to send it out, I waited months for mine this year after three attempts and £11 donation to the corgi inefficiency tin I got one at alst last week.

Ain't you the lucky one, still haven't got mine, last years when it did turn up was returned as wrong 3 times, and is still wrong, half the elements are missing.

What do I care anyway because no-one has ever asked to see it. :cool: :rolleyes:

I will give CORGI full credit though for customer service.

They made me feel that I was the only Registered Installer who had not received the cards automatically when I renewed our registration!

I then got a card for Op 2 but not my own!

Think I am still waiting for Op 3 card though. I must chase that up!

Tony

Thank you all for your feedback, I realise I didnt give a full explanation of the problem but not understanding boilers its all I could give you I'm afraid.
It sounds like it might be worth repairing dependent on the source of the leak, the plumber didnt locate the leak, just speculated where it might be.

"I recon the OP lives in a seaside town full of bedsit sinmgle parent family's, minimum wage earners and loafers, somwhere like where I live. The sort of place where our worth is devalued such that we have to contribute to our set up costs and overheads from our savings.

Thanks again New Labour."

This was a very odd comment to make and I dont understand why it was made, perhaps it was a criticism of wanting a second opinion but I think this is a reasonable thing to do when facing a large payout for any kind of work.

Think you will find he was refering to the very cheap price for the work.

Even a good guy would struggle to make a profit and do the job properly at £1200.00.

doitall said:
Think you will find he was refering to the very cheap price for the work.

Even a good guy would struggle to make a profit and do the job properly at £1200.00.

fair enough, might have understood better if I'd not had a bottle of wine!

Just enjoy the wine!

It makes me feel better to see somebody else blamed for something he did not intend !

Tony

Hugo the fault description would be unusual. All I can think he means is that the heat exchanger is leaking water, which is then evaporating until it condenses in the flue and then leaks out. Does that sound like what he meant?
Does the pressure gauge drop quickly? It would.
Where exactly is the leak?

HugoRune said:
This was a very odd comment to make and I dont understand why it was made, perhaps it was a criticism of wanting a second opinion but I think this is a reasonable thing to do when facing a large payout for any kind of work.

Very sorry to have hijacked, the other guys will know what I was on about, but it'll be double dutch to you. My bad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back