Regulations on boiler location?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

My combi boiler is currently upstairs in the 3rd bedroom, however we want to convert this small room into the bathroom, which is currently downstairs at the back of the kitchen.

The combi booiler was brand new last winter & is just out on the wall, not in a cupboard and the electric switch for the boiler is on the wall below it.

Are there regulations about not having a boiler in the bathroom? I'm not sure whether we need to budget for having it moved when we have the bathroom fitted.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It is difficult to keep up with the electrical regs and I am not part P registered.

However, my understanding is that the BS standard that used to restrict the location of boilers in bathrooms to specific zones has been changed, due to harmonization with EU rules.

Thus BS 7671 (is that the right number?) becomes BS-EN 7671. This has important ramifications for boilers in bathrooms, because under EU regs a boiler with an IPX4 rating or better can be fitted where it can be touched from a bath eg: Zone 1.

Most modern boilers are IPX4 rated, you will find it in their technical specs. You are meant to fit RCD protection to an IPX4 device in Zone 1 (the IPX4 is in zone 1, not the RCD).

Previously, in this zone the boiler would need to be fitted in a separate compartment only accessible by the use of a tool or key.

Personally, I would not be happy with a boiler in Zone 1......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back