cooker installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have hard wired in a 45A spured fuse socket for an electric cooker, and socket outlet spured off this. What I would like to know is can I wire the actual cooker into a 13A domestic plug that fits into the socket!

Sponsored Links
Can you explain what you mean by a '45amp spured fuse socket' ?

I think we need to know what protection is at the consumer unit for the circuit, the size of cable and the length of run (roughly) to determine what can be installed 'on the end of it'.
And what is the power consumption of your cooker is ??

Sorry I can't be of more help but cant get my head around the existing setup you have.

martinez said:
I have hard wired in a 45A spured fuse socket for an electric cooker, and socket outlet spured off this. What I would like to know is can I wire the actual cooker into a 13A domestic plug that fits into the socket!
1. What I think you have done and what you are proposing is so bad its unimaginable.

2. Are you aware of part p?
MKK5040.JPG

45A cooker control unit

MKK2747.JPG

13A double switched socket

MKK5045.JPG

cooker outlet point - this connected to the switched side of the 45A cooker control unit above.

I think we are getting our wires crossed here, excuse the pun! I have wired in the cooker socket oulet as per the picture, but the question was, how can I wire the cable into the 13amp plug

Sponsored Links
martinez, as sparky40 has asked, what is the load of the cooker?
If it's only low (under 13 amps/3KW)you can plug it into a socket,
and running in a 45 amp supply was unnecessary. If the load is over
this, it needs to be connected to the outlet of the switched side of the
cooker control unit assuming the cable you have run is the correct size.
What size cable have you run from the CU to the CCU and what size cable
between the CCU and socket outlet?

I need to check the rating of the cooker, but that answers my question.
Thank you.

You have attached a socket outlet into the cooker circuit? I hope you have used the same size cable for the socket as has been used to feed the CCU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back