smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope someone can help. I moved house nine months ago and in that time I have constantly noticed a horrible smell from the kitchen taps when washing up. My partner cannot smell it. It is not present in our downstairs WC or upstairs bathroom. We are both rubbish DIYers and I suspect the drains, but have no knowledge upon which to base this suspicion, except I can't think of anything else. Does anyone know what it could be? Is it a job for a plumber? Many thanks, Joy

Sponsored Links
only a suggestion

years ago when i were young, the water was smelly, it turned out a bird had got in the tank and died, and gone mouldy and jelly and yuk

have a look in your loft tank (if you have one)

Try taking the trap of under the sink, and give it a good clean.
A very easy job to check first.
JonB

If you run the taps into a bowl and get smell .....then breezer is right .......if you get the smell when tap is running into sink/wastepipe then JonB is right and if the smell only appears from the Hot tap ..Then breezer is definately right :cool:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for those suggestions. It can't be the water tank, we had that taken out this year when we were re-doing the heating, but I will try Jon's suggestion. Thanks Joy

have a look under the plinth of the units for an old waste pipe thats not capped off.

Had the same problem on a job a couple of months ago.

I was called out to smelly water and found a dead squirrel in the loft tank.

It had swelled up to the size of a football !

I fished it out and put it into a plastic bag. It did not smell very nice!

Tony

A squirrel had swelled up to the size of a ..........squirrel? :LOL:

So why did you then stuff it under Joy's kitchen unit?

in my house the washing machine waste goes in to the trap under the sink. with time (and lack of ht washes) the washingmachine got smelly (although not noticeable without pulling out pipes) then the sink waste got smelly as a result!

-so if your washing machine is the reason it got smelly it might be time to clean that aswell (not saying you are unclean -it just happens particularly if you dont do many boil washes (/do do a lot of quickwashes) -search on here but basigally run a couple of empty boilwashes i put a bit of bleach in but dont know if thats reccomended)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back