Cause of Boiler kettling? Pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm after some advice please. Im pretty much a novice on boiler issues but would like to see if any of you can help diagnose the problem before i seek professional help.

I have a fairly old back boiler system- baxi bermuda.

A while ago when the heating was turned on after a short time a noise starts to come from the pump next to storage tank upstairs. shortly after the back boiler also started to kettle and has been like that for a while. it would kettle then shut off, the pump would make a weird noise as if its seized and the converter inside is making a noise. anyway after a couple of weeks it blew a fuse- those 5amp one thats goes in the switch.

Accept my apologies for the bad terminology ,
i think the pump does need replacing, but is that the likely cause, or is that the symptoms of a dead pump?
Also can it be scale or some thing.
Any ideas or solutions much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
first thing to do is ..check that there is water in the system.

bster said:
first thing to do is ..check that there is water in the system.

good starting point

sheesh bster you are putting us old lags to shame

wanna job??? :):)

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, just as an update, i purchased a wilo gold a like for like for the old smc. but fitting it was a nightmare, the valve connections were welded on so it seemed. so i isolated the valves and cut through the caps with a hacksaw

just finished now, sounds a little noisy the pump, i let the air out and sounds ok and running smooth. just give it a day or two to be sure.

mind you even though the old pump was in a state it wasnt ceased.
Could be the converter within it that packed up?

since changing the pump my ground floor radiators don't warm but upstairs are fine. i've bled the radiators and pump?
any ideas?

Thanks

Try "balancing" - see faq. Otherwise, could be a sludge problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back