Leaking Basin Waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Can anyone help? I am currently fitting my first bathroom suite Romsey B&Q. everything going great till I tested the basin after fitting and found out that the waste was leaking. It does not leak when taps are running with no plug in or when basin is full with the plug is in. It only appears to happen when i tested the integral overflow. The chrome waste that was supplied with the bathroom only came with one thin rubber washer and a back nut. As There were no instructions with this I decided to apply some silicon to the underside of the chrome waste before inserting into the waste hole. Then the rubber washer and back nut were fitted to the underside. I reckon the water is running down the threads of the waste past the nut. Is what i have done right and should i use thread tape on the waste and back nut.

Also the Romsey taps only come with one washer for each tap. Should this be fitted between the tap and basin on the top, or between the back nut and basin on the underside with a bead of silicon on the top as described in the fitting leaflet as when fitted like this the tap tends to turn.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
crudie said:
Is what i have done right and should i use thread tape on the waste and back nut.
No, and no. Use a poly washer with mildew resistent silicone sealant on both sides, and leave to cure before going mad with the basin.

Also the Romsey taps only come with one washer for each tap. Should this be fitted between the tap and basin on the top, or between the back nut and basin on the underside with a bead of silicon on the top as described in the fitting leaflet as when fitted like this the tap tends to turn.
Not if you clean the basin, do up the backnuts tight enough, use top quality silicone and leave it to cure before trying to turn them.

Nice bit of chrome there - where are the isolating valves then? :)

Sponsored Links
The knobs are at the front end of the wall outlets :D :D

You can get cheapo versions of the above from antares (a/c required).

These were in a Youth Hostel. Guess the country...

Here's a radiator from the same building, note the bread (?) warming box.

Not trying. Where do you get posh and quaint in the same place?? ;)

Ah, I've got it: it's Beckingham Palace, n'est-ce pas?

SweatySockland?
Pretty close!
Thought you might have noticed the vernacular romantic motif in the radiator door casting.... ;)

Beckham, quaint? Ugh!

So when you say "close", you mean lexicographically, not geographically. ;)

I've only been there once, back in 1981, and found it too expensive to stay more than 24 hours (I was backpacking at the time).

I'll be on the lookout for more quaintness when I'm there next, which will be in June 2008. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back