Adding a new batten holder to the existing light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again. I hope everyone is keeping well.
I have 1 batten holder (basic ceiling rose type light fitting) and I'd like to add another 1 a few feet away, so they both come on with the same switch. I do NOT need a new switch (so please don't refer me to the reference diagram - I've already looked!).
Can I 'spur' off the existing batten holder to take power to the additional batten holder (using a new length of cable), without having to connect the new light directly to the existing switch? Or do I have to extend the circuit to the new light fitting AND run a cable from the fitting to the existing switch.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Monkeysoon said:
Can I 'spur' off the existing batten holder to take power to the additional batten holder (using a new length of cable), without having to connect the new light directly to the existing switch?

That's the correct way of doing it. Your new cable should be connected to the same terminals as the lamp in the first battern holder.

As you already know about Part P.... ;)

Wow that was quick - cheers. I've just had a look inside the batten holder and it is being fed off a junction box (and there are only 3 terminals, L N E). Can I still feed off this for the new light by connecting the new live, earth and neutral to these connectors, ie 2 wires in each terminal)?

Cheers again

You can - although you may find it easier to connect into the junction box as there is normally more room.

Sponsored Links
OK what seemed simple to start with has now become trickier...
The existing batten holder is somewhat decrepit so instead of buying just the extra one I've bought two. These new batten holders have ceiling rose type terminals (unlike the old batten holder) ie 2 lives, 3 loops, 3 neutrals and an earth. My electrics book reliably informs me that if you have a 'ceiling rose' on a junction box system, the live wire from the light cable goes into the 'switched live' terminal (1 of the 2 live terminals) on the rose. Are you with me? A diagram would help :confused: . The neutral and earth go to the neutral and earth terminals. Is that correct? If so that's fine, but as you know I also want to add another batten holder a few feet away. My question is this: how are the connections made between the first 'rose' and the second, bearing in mind I want them both to come on with the existing switch? I'm thinking the live wire on the new light cable will go from one of the 'loop' terminals of the first rose to one of the 2 lives (not loop) of the second rose, and the neutral and earth will go in their respective terminals. But I'm not sure..

Many thanks

If you have a live neutral and earth at the ceiling rose then connect these as you have ie live into "switched live" at ceiling rose then making sure the live connects to the live of the light fitting.. if you want to link the other light in then just go like for like from the first fitting to the next. you do not need to use the "loop in" terminals at the rose

Monkeysoon said:
OK what seemed simple to start with has now become trickier...

It's still simple...

Your live wire into switched live,
Your neutral wire to neutral
Your earth to earth
The light fitting also has a connection marked "loop". Don't connect anything to this.

Your second light needs to be in parralel to the first. So, your new cable is fitted to the same terminals in the first light fitting. So, in the first light fitting you'll have:-

Switched Live Terminal: - original live wire, plus your new live to 2nd light
loop terminal: no connection
neutral: original neutral wire, plus your new neutral
earth: original earth wire + new earth

then the second light fitting is wired just as i've described above.

Although as pensdown said, it'd be better to source your new light from the junction box.

Guys thats great - I thought that might be the case but I wasn't sure. I would go to the junction box but the location makes it much easier to feed off the first light.

Cheers for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back