A Job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Sorry to go on a bit here but just wanted to give a 'background' to me.

My background is Engineering (fitter) then moved into building/plumbing/kitchen fitting trade for quite a few years. I was forced to leave the 'Construction' trade due to an accident at work some years ago. I was installing Air Ventilation Shafts onto a roof and it collapsed. I fell 30 feet. Broke my pelvis. HSE took the company to court etc.

Anyway, after rehab (for my injuries. I don't have any addictions!!!) I needed to get back to work (for money and my sanity!) so I got a job stacking shelves at night in a local supermarket. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone who stacks shelves for a living but it always felt like a waste of my life considering my background. After a while I moved onto HR (Human Resources). Don't get me wrong here, I've been fairly successful in my 'new' career especially considering I quite literally 'fell' into the role! but I never really liked it. 3 years ago we had a son and one of us had to be with him. Saying as my wife earned the most (also in HR!) it was decided that yours truely would leave work to look after him.

While I was off I had the opportunity to do ACS. I enjoyed the course although I was amazed at how many people arrived on day one who were from backgrounds such as Taxi Driving, Sales, a Postman! All of which fell by the waste side once the exams started kicking in. The 'Legislation' exam got rid of quite a few but 'Ventilation' did the most damage to class numbers! Quite rightly according to our Lecturer.

Its been a year now since I finished and I'm able leave my son now. I've been keeping busy doing the odd bathroom etc for folks (NEVER touch Gas as I'm not registered and Prison isn't something I fancy!!!) but I'm looking to get back to work. What I'd like to do is go to work for a company where I can possibly 'shadow' someone for a few weeks or so until I get up to speed. I'm no dumb ass. I know the plumbing trade fairly well and I believe I would be an asset to a company.

My question (after all that, sorry guys!), is: Do you think BG is my best bet? I've read that BG only lets you in if you've been 'nominated' by someone within BG. Is that right? Can anyone suggest any other avenues into work?

Oh and yeah, I've heard all the jokes from my mates about going to work as a 'Stuntman'! I'd really appreciate some sensible feedback.

Thanks in anticipation of your replies.

I'm in Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear by the way.

Sponsored Links
this is a ....plumbing and .....errrrr central heating forum.

not a ..........hard luck story forum....

sort yerself out lad... :D

wilhelm said:
this is a ....plumbing and .....errrrr central heating forum.
No, this is a general discussion forum.

not a ..........hard luck story forum....
Not a plumbing and CH forum.

Moderator 4

Ive moved this to the plumbing forum. Hopefully you should get a wealth of advice from some of the contributers there. Good luck

My mate at college went down the BG route and is now Corgi reg.
The work he says was easy if not monotomous the money was ok bearing in mind van tools and training.
He done work at w/ends to make up.
The only downside was a contract you enter into with BG that once qualified you had to serve a fixed time with them.

It may have changed so I would say pros and cons.
Good luck pal
Pete

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Fluffster. Might give it a go. Do you know 'how' he applied?

As for wilhelm... Congratulation! with your obvious limited intelligence you were able to write the following...

'this is a ....plumbing and .....errrrr central heating forum.
not a ..........hard luck story forum.... sort yerself out lad...'

That was extremely helpful. Thank you!!! Have you thought of a career in conselling? Or perhaps something more academic might be more your thing considering your IQ... For your information smart alec, I'm trying to 'sort myself out'! You haven't a clue about my personal circumstances so don't take the p***! I am simply asking a group of professionals for their opinion on a subject they have Experience and Knowledge of.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would see that... But i realise, you don't fit into the 'ounce of sense' catagory! Now go tell your mammy a big boy told you off.

Fluffster said:
My mate at college went down the BG route and is now Corgi reg.
The work he says was easy if not monotomous the money was ok bearing in mind van tools and training.
He done work at w/ends to make up.

Pete

I suppose like so many other BG staff he does work on the side without his own CORGI or insurance?

Tony

What is up with some of the plonkers on this site.
Why do they have to be so sactimonious and sarcastic when they see something which they percieve does not ( in their opinion) conform to the forum rules.
You lot know who you are, and you seem to get some delight in pouncing like a pack of wolves on some poor unfortunate who dosn't conform to your rules.
If somebody requires steering in the right direction, help them by all means, but without the sarcastic remarks, if you can't , well just ignore them.
Better still, get a life you losers.

well done dr spock-come on guys the guy's been in a serious accident-I ripped my arm open with a circular saw last december-sometimes u need people like yourselfs to give people confidence to get back into the trade-

Thanks for the backing drspock and diybot.

If i'm breaching forum rules i appologise Kev. I didn't mean to cause a stir I just thought you guys would be able to give me a few pointers.

If you went British Gas then you would have to do a traineeship (unless you have the relevent C&G certificates, CCN1 etc and experiance with gas).

bster said:
If you went British Gas then you would have to do a traineeship (unless you have the relevent C&G certificates, CCN1 etc and experiance with gas).

Thanks bster,

I've got CCN1, CEN1, WAT1, and Meters. I don't mind doing the BG Traineeship if its worth the 'experience'. I've been on the BG web site tonight but it states no vacancies for my Post Code. I've left my email address with them for possible future vacancies

The post code search has never shown a vacancie for my postcode for 2years!

If you know someone within Bg then it will be alot easier to get an interview, i'm guessing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back