adding a Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am thinking of wiring my loft, with a lighting circit (6a) and a socket circit (32a) ive got a spare fuse slot on my main consumer unit witch is 45a could i wire a cu in my loft? what type of cable you suggest i use?

Many thanks :D

Sponsored Links
in my loft i have access to the ceiling lights below so will be tapping off them (theres only 4 lights upstairs anyway), so just needs the sockets so i will be extending the ring from the level below. (again my upstairs has its own ring and i dont run much off it and wont be running much in the loft).

Im not a spark but i wouldnt of thought the loft needs its own CU unless you have a lot of high power stuff up there or currently have a lot of high power stuff on your present rings?

Sponsored Links
hmm, as i said Im not a spark so Im not going to comment on how much power is too much (and a spark would probably need to add up what else you are running +cable lengths +everything else).

but even if you are heavily loading your ring, why not just add a new ring for the loft from the spare breaker and tap into the upstairs lights for lightage (as the cables are allready in the loft i presume)?

I cant see the need for a CU in the loft, but your house is probably a lot bigger than mine and a spark (or someone more experienced) will probablycome along and put us both right, lol.

for a 45A submain to a second CU you would need 10mm cable (maybe more if the run is excessively long but unlikely).

note as new circuits this work is notifiable under part P.

i tend to agree that the plan is overkill

Nothing new to add but i believe smithson and plugwash are right. there's no need for a new CU at all.

the light should be able to be taken from the existing circuit and you may even be able to extend your ring circuit aswell, at worst i would think a new ring for the loft.....or a radial.

as plug says also... notifiable.

what cable would you suggest i use on a 32a breaker? i would say the cable length is about 10 metres long.

Many thanks :cool: :D

I'm going to post another Victor Meldrew reply.

Ashley - if you don't know the answers to these simple problems, I suggest you go no further until you have read up on electricity and wiring first.

I mean, come on...you want a 32A radial on 10m. First, you should know which size cable not to use.

Second, the OSG tells you what size cable to use on a 32A radial.

Do some research..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back