sounds like my boiler is about to blow up!! help! please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sounded like my boiler was going to blow up,its a boilermate2, i switched it on for the first time since the summer, thermostat working, radiators were turned on, green light came the bottom of boiler in airing cupboard water still hot but radiators stone cold. then really loud noises, i rushed up and switched the whole lot off, then tried it again 20 minutes later and same thing, sounds llike someones dropping bombs!. the pump was apparantly changed in the summer as had the same problem then but without the loud noises, the radiators seemed fine got hot so it was switched off for a few months, and now this! any suggestions? i know the pump that was supposodly replaced wasnt new, if indeed it was replaced at all? im beginning to doubt it was, because it was the guy i bought the house from!! do you think i should bleed the radiators, although all of these were stone cold when heating was switched on or do you think i should replace the pump myself? there are two pumps with this boiler, also it could be the small boiler in kitchen thats faulty ?which has to be switched on to allow heating to come on...i had trouble determining which boiler the noise came from as loud as it was!! arrrghh!! can anyone help? thankyou. anything might help and would be appreciated. :(

Sponsored Links
sounds to me like the pump is either not working or u have an airlock preventing circulation. the nooise u are hearing is the system pumping over because it has gotten too hot. with the pump running unsrew the front cap and see if it is spinning inside also bleen the systtem out .

Thankyou! but i have already managed to fix it i took a screwdriver and held it against the screw of the pump and knocked it a few times with the hammer then one final stronger whack and bingo! pump came on! looks like it needed freeing up.... brilliant! saved me a packet probably! you wer right on the mark! cheers. Diane

In case you didn't know..this has been "Pump Unsticking Week" Done about seven on our contract this week, and no doubt my colleagues have had similar experiences

Its the same every year..and they run fine until they switch em off gain next June..and forget again

Alfredo

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back