Do we really need to replace our boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would be very grateful if you could give us some advice.

We have a fairly old gas central heating system (at least 15 years old). The Baxi boiler is in our kitchen and vents into a chimney. The system is serviced by British Gas and we have been told by various engineers that the boiler will shortly become illegal because of where it is sited. The boiler will need to vent to the outside. We have had a visit from a British Gas salesman who has encouraged us to buy a new boiler. He told us that as the only external wall in our kitchen is also a boundary wall we cannot site the new boiler there.

Our only option seem to be that we put the boiler in our daughter's bedroom. All other possible places, bathroom, loft etc are no good for various reasons. We are not really happy with this bedroom option; mainly because we hate the idea of having a boiler in a bedroom. There will also be other disruption, gas pipes running up the stairwell etc.

We are wondering if we really need to replace our boiler now? It is working well although we appreciate it is not as efficient as the new condensor boilers. The British Gas people were a bit vague about deadlines.

Can anybody recommend good alternative options? We were thinking about electric storage heaters. Our house is a three bedroomed detached with a fairly large 3 room annex in addition. As we live near to the sea front it gets pretty cold in the winter!

NB We have been quoted over £5,000 for the work.

Any advice would be appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
ehhhh christ you must now have a state of the art condenser that will prob break down in 3 mths you must have a powerflush you must have it positioned in the most arkward place possible

err someboby is feeding you a lemon ;)

but i will bet they are offering you a deal on a new boiler :idea:

we have been told by various engineers that the boiler will shortly become illegal because of where it is sited.
Bu11ocks. Unless there's something new I haven't seen.

He told us that as the only external wall in our kitchen is also a boundary wall we cannot site the new boiler there.
Bu11ocks. The flue doesn't have to go out of the wall the boiler's fixed to.

Our only option seem to be that we put the boiler in our daughter's bedroom.
Bu11ocks. Don't believe it.

We are wondering if we really need to replace our boiler now?
Stop wondering. Fatten up the above and sell them at market.

The British Gas people were a bit vague about deadlines.
You don't say!

NB We have been quoted over £5,000 for the work.
Your livestock herd just got bigger.

Any advice would be appreciated
Suggest you give BG advice, on sex and travel, and get some more quotes.

Sponsored Links
Quite :eek:

Tell BG to go stuff their face, get a few quotes in from local heating engineers, or ask for recommendations, whatever.

It will be at least a thousand quid cheaper anyway :LOL:

Yes get a couples of quote from other heating firms with a good reputation, if you get the same advice from all then it is probably correct..When they say the installation will become illegal I presume this is because you have an open flued appliance with ventilation that will be classed as 'at risk' in 2008?, if so I would say replacement would be a good idea but on the grounds of efficiency and safety rather than anything else.

To clarify - again I may have missed something but afaik it's just lack of ventilation which could make it "At risk". A hole in the wall would rectify and not cost a lot (holesale :rolleyes: ).

When they say the installation will become illegal I presume this is because you have an open flued appliance with ventilation that will be classed as 'at risk' in 2008?,

Yes - this is correct. The kitchen is quite long - over 20 foot - with the boiler at one end and the external wall at the other. If we had a hole knocked in the external wall would that cover our immediate problem?

Thanks for all the advice so far............

Increase the ventilation and you won't have a problem, and don't forget to sleeve the cavity. :rolleyes:

Another example of BG using some dubious tactics (to say the least) to bamboozle people into buying an overpriced new boiler installation from them. How would the poster feel about this being brought to the attention of the media?

chrishutt said:
Another example of BG using some dubious tactics (to say the least) to bamboozle people into buying an overpriced new boiler installation from them. How would the poster feel about this being brought to the attention of the media?

An exact replica of my mate Chris, at least they have refunded his deposit, although I don't know if they kept an administration fee, must call him.

Where do they get their prices from :eek:

doitall said:
An exact replica of my mate Chris,
And many hundreds of others, no doubt. I'm happy to pass details on to media contacts if the victims are willing. How about it, Kaggy?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back